Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Auckland VS University of Otago

Question University of Auckland VS University of Otago

Hi All, I have been offered admission into PhD (Business Studies) both at University of Auckland and University of Otago. After completing PhD I want a career in teaching and research and/or management consulting. Please advice on which university should I go for to be able to better fulfill my career aspirations.

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

They're both very good universities. I know Auckland has a good Business School. Haven't really heard about Otago's. Maybe you need to look on their websites and contact the appropriate people to see the differences between the unis. I know it's a PhD and there won't be any lectures but there still might be little things that do or don't appeal to you at each uni.

Then I guess it boils down to whether you want to live in Auckland or Dunedin. Dunedin is popular with those straight out of school, living in halls, wanting a good time etc. Auckland hasn't really developed that reputation (yet). So I'm not sure how easy it would be to get accommodation down there, even privately (2nd/3rd year students don't usually live in halls).

Auckland. More money, better funded than Otago. The most important thing though is to check out your PhD supervisor and the number/quality of publications he/she has. Very important for your future career for your supervisor to be well-known in the field. He/she will be the one writing your references after all.
    And if you want to get into management consulting afterwards, there would be far more opportunities in Auckland than Dunedin.
    For general living, Dunedin would be cheaper, but Auckland has better weather.

Given I work at Auckland I should say "us". But girlwithanewf's advice is excellent. Both schools' business programs are very good.

I would also think about where you want to work after you finish your PhD. If you'd rather settle in Auckland, doing your PhD at Otago would probably be more strategic, since universities are always looking to bring in fresh talent. If you're planning on seeking an academic role outside of NZ it doesn't really matter.

As for your PhD itself, if I may, try to:
    Finish it in 3 years
    Get teaching opportunities
    Publish whilst studying, no later than year 2
    Attending conferences for your discipline--ideally presenting some of your work

The job market for PhD graduates is tough everywhere these days: it's publish or perish. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Dunedin...but Auckland has better weather.
    Depends - e.g. if one likes rain and humidity, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by johnykhan View Post
    Hi All, I have been offered admission into PhD (Business Studies) both at University of Auckland and University of Otago. After completing PhD I want a career in teaching and research and/or management consulting. Please advice on which university should I go for to be able to better fulfill my career aspirations.

Thanks
    So did you decide between the two?

I would vote for Auckland since you would have better access to business in the area. Dunedin is a small college town in the far south. There just isn't too much large business there. Small business, yes, farmers, yes, and certainly amazing scenery! I would also say that you should consider your options for advisors in both locations. You need to study with someone who you can get along with, and who has a specialty in the area that interests you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnykhan View Post

Thanks
    Thanks you so much. I am happy to be part of this extremely informative forum.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Auckland. More money, better funded than Otago. The most important thing though is to check out your PhD supervisor and the number/quality of publications he/she has. Very important for your future career for your supervisor to be well-known in the field. He/she will be the one writing your references after all.
    And if you want to get into management consulting afterwards, there would be far more opportunities in Auckland than Dunedin.
    For general living, Dunedin would be cheaper, but Auckland has better weather.
    The PhD supervisors are almost the same at both the universities. The question arises from your reply: Does the origin of degree matter in successfully finding a good job (specifically Management Consulting) in Auckland?
    Last edited by johnykhan; 13th December 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast