(Moderators, please advise if this should be posted somewhere else)

As the Christmas holiday season is drawing near, there are some key safety messages that we all should remember, especially for homeowners:
• Record the serial numbers of expensive electronic items and photograph these and other valuables. You are able to store the vital information by visiting www.snap.org.nz
• Keep valuables out of sight i.e. jewellery, cameras, electronic gadgets, gifts.
• Install an alarm system. Make sure you on your alarm when you are not at home.
• Get sensor lights fitted.
• Keep garden sheds and garages locked when not in use and make sure those ladders are tucked away.
• Keep hedges or plants around doors and windows well trimmed - don't give the burglar a place to hide.
• Lock your doors and windows, stop your mail and paper if you are going away for sometime (for example, a holiday overseas) or arrange for someone to collect it. Make sure you inform your neighbours to look out for your property. • Keep the house secure when you are out in the garden or yard.
• Use a chain on the door - don't open the door to strangers, unless the chain is attached.
• Note down registrations of any suspicious vehicles - often burglars will scope out a place beforehand. Notify Police after that.
• Don't drink and drive - you will be caught. Arrange for a sober driver to get you home. Seek to protect your family and friends too, if they have been drinking socially at work functions or special Christmas gatherings.
• Be vigilant for ourselves, as well as for our neighbours.
• Be aware - do not take anything for granted.
• Join or form a Neighbourhood Support Group. Your community constable will have some details.

Here are some examples of what is considered as emergency:

Dial Police immediately on 111 if...

• Your life or someone else's life is at risk.
• You are being attacked or threatened physically or sexually.
• You are being robbed and the offender is still at the scene or just left.
• Someone is prowling around a property.
• We have been in a vehicle accident.

Here are some examples of what is considered as non-emergency:

Dial your local police station when...

• There is no immediate threat to our life or property.
• We/You have been robbed and the offender has been gone for sometime.
• Your car has been stolen while you were away from it.
• You are a victim of fraud.
If in doubt always dial 111, never hesitate.
Our local police station number is listed in the telephone directory under Police.
Alternatively, call Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111 to give them details anonymously.
For more information, please visit the New Zealand Police website on www.police.govt.nz/safety

Extra from me - Desis don't keep gold in the house especially after returning , (Desis is colloquialism loosely meaning 'people from our country', usually India)

In my case CRT TV is v heavy and cheap, the only useful thing will be rice and pulses if someone is desperate hungry and knows how to use a pressure cooker, and I have nothing worth anything except lots of photographs