Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Australian Transit Visa Required if airline is coming through Australia and I have New Zealand Resident Visa

Default Is Australian Transit Visa Required if airline is coming through Australia and I have New Zealand Resident Visa

I have booked my flight to Auckland with Emirates. The flight has a transit stop in Australia. I have a New Zealand resident visa and wonder whether I need to obtain an Australian transit visa. I have not been able to get clarification from the airline website. Appreciate any help.

You need an air transit visa. You can check the australian govt website for further clarification.

Yes, we just booked to go back to Ireland and on advice from the travel agent got the visa - he advised to get it in case flights were delayed and we needed to be put up overnight in hotel, without the visa we couldn't leave the transit lounge, he didn't charge us for it.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.
    JandM, the website indicated was really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Engineer View Post
    Thanks all for your suggestions and help.
    JandM, the website indicated was really helpful.
    Just a reminder to check such sites regularly as the legislation changes frequently!
    In this instance I recall that not that long ago e.g. we could stay <=72 hours without a 'formal' visa whereas now it is only <=8 hours. Though the process of online application and grant was rather easy going.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Just a reminder to check such sites regularly as the legislation changes frequently!
    In this instance I recall that not that long ago e.g. we could stay <=72 hours without a 'formal' visa whereas now it is only <=8 hours. Though the process of online application and grant was rather easy going.
    ralf-nz, thanks, have applied for the transit visa.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    The latest being, mandatory transit visa as long as flight lands on the airport.

I applied for the transit visa on December 7, 2012 and received it on January 10, 2013. I had to make several telephone calls to the Australian embassy handling the application as I could not understand the long length of time involved. My advice based on this experience is that if you require this visa, you should not assume that it is a quick process.

Thanks for letting us know!

This length seems ridiculous - even considering summer break.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast