Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi - Just a little help regarding prices, and insights of places in New Zealand!!

Default Hi - Just a little help regarding prices, and insights of places in New Zealand!!

Hi All

Well first of all, i'm Rachel. I love to research - i'm a bit geeky that way!! So i've decided i'm going to do as much research on NZ as I possibly can. This way others will have local knowledge on areas, prices, foods (I'm not that great of a cook, so you'll have to bare with me on this one), and one of the most important for me - how New Zealand treats dogs!!
    Hopefully others will be able to advise me on places to go, things to do, prices etc as well - I would love as much input as possible!! Even if you believe I have got something wrong to put me straight, as this a learning curve for me too!!

I have started to compose lists of comparisons on prices between were I lived Preston, Lancashire to New Zealand (the towns rather than cities), as before I came I wanted to know the true cost of living etc, but could only find old lists. So whilst the cost of food etc (what I personally bought) is still fresh in my head and I am starting to buy food etc here I started a table! to share!

Supermarket.JPG

So here goes, a little about me! I'm 28 and arrived in New Zealand on the 13th November 2012 on a 23 month Working Holiday Visa with my partner - Dean, and our two dogs Sasha - Jack Russell X, and Drew - Labrador X Springer Spaniel......I know what a lot of you will be thinking now - "Are you completely bonkers, bringing your two dogs on holiday with you?" Well to be quite honest, YEAH!! We adore our dogs to bits and I don't think I could have gone through the pain of re-homing them, and nor did I not want to give Dean & I this brilliant oppourtunity to experience such a gorgeous country!
    We originally came to NZ with it in mind to get jobs (We're both Draftsmen......well i'm a draftswoman, but you rarely see it wrote like that) and stay here forever, but we've (well I've) decided I couldn't live here forever ever (I know you'll all be saying it's to early etc, but we all know what we really want in life, and it's our own life to live) - you see I got homesick, and when I say I got homesick, I honestly mean I felt sick (was sick), was crying, misserable, unmotivated the lot from day 1 - not necessarily for home but for my sisters, and these are not just any sisters.........one is my twin sister - if anyone has the bond of a twin then they'll understand!!!
    So our new plan is now to SEE the country, to experience the country, to live a life of excitement everyday! But we will also try to get jobs, just out of our normal careers - possibly out of our comfort zones, so this way we can really experience life! Dean would do anything from working in a video shop (loves the xbox 360), to Welder, to Fitness Instructor (he has qualifications just no expereience)! I would love to work with animals, whether in Vets, kennels or a pet shop! BUT at the same time, neither of us would be fussed about working at Orchards - at least we can say "yeah, we've done that!" We are hoping to rent a hpuse in a place we feel is quite central for touring, then at least we can work, but still see the country!

Anyhow, enough about me and onto the research on the places I've visited!!
    We stopped in Auckland CBD from our arrival on 13th November to 26th November - we were based in a 3* Hotel - Best Westen and this set us back £630 (£48 per night) for a Studio room. We had all ameneties including fridge/freezer & microwave, and their was laundry facilities on the other floors for all guests (at a cost) - it was a lovely place to stop as it was mid-range price, and is based in the centre of Auckland CBD.
    Auckland - Well Auckland CBD isn't the 'real-deal' of New Zealand in my opinion, you will only see a handful of true Newzealanders! But, it's a nice place, if you're a city person, like to eat out, like to shop and mix with other tourists from all around the world. There's a big range of food to suit tourists from Thai to a greasy American diner, you'll never be stuck for a place to eat. Although I have to say my two favourites were - Northern Steamship (Off Britomat Place) - they did HUGE portions of pub food which was well worth the money - approx $20 a main course. The second was the Shakespear Hotel & Brewery On Albert St) - Also pub grub and is approx $15 a main course.
    For shopping, the main streets in the CBD are good for designers etc, but we found their was more to do by venturing outside of the centre to Sylvia's park (a massive shopping complex) and to Manukau centre - the prices started decreasing a touch too with being outside of the main tourist area.

After Auckland, we picked up the dogs from Quarantine (I'll review the shipping/quarantine etc another time) and moved on to Matakana - well more precisely, Point Wells. Matakana and it's surrounding areas are lovely - they are an up and coming tourist area, they have beaches, rivers, lovely views, small selection of shops and eateries. We didn't eat out here, as we were stopping in a bach for 4 nights and after eating out for two weeks I was quite excited to get back in the kitchen.........don't think Dean appreciated this as much, especially after I'd accidentally picked up Spicy Italian sausages to go with mashed potatos and no gravy!!!!
    Well, Point Wells as a lovely river walk. Omaha has a stunning beach on what I like to call 'Millionaires Row', Snells beach is nice and so was Christian Bay - the only thing was, we weren't allowed on them with the pooches between 9am & 7pm.....not a massive problem as we got to go and watch the sunset on the beach!!
    Pakiri beach is a MUST - the beach has gorgeous white sand, allows dogs at anytime of the day and has the best road ever to get to it - it is a one car wide gravel road with some brilliant views (even in the rain) and you also get to laugh at your partner (or whoevers driving) thinking they are on 'Ice Road Truckers'........if i'm honest it did seem similar to some of the roads off the 'Ice Road Truckers'!!
    To narrow it down, Matakana as a nice pub on the riverside and a few shops, but otherwise you need to like walking and be willing to drive to other closeby villages/towns to go for more walks as the place is quite isolated!!

We are currently near Whangerai in Pataua and all I can say is WOW!! Both Whangerai and Pataua are the most beautiful places I have ever been to!! I will do a full review on these when I leave so I don't miss anything out!
    In the next few weeks we are also planning on a few road trips to Cape Reigna and drive back on the 90 mile beach and to the Bay of Islands, so I will tell all about my trips to these too to give an insight!!

Hopefully this will help some people.

Rachel

Hello and welcome.

Welcome on board

Hello and welcome.

Hello & welcome!

P

Welcome to the forum

Wow, that's a lot of effort. Welcome.

Hi Rachael, Thanks so much for sharing your experience thus far- I will be looking forward to your future posts

Welcome, Rachel, and thanks for posting so much information.

And apologies for being nit-picky (might be the German in me), but it's 'Whangarei', I believe. If you are sending out resumes and cover letters with addresses, you may want to check that unless there are two acceptable spellings for the place.

Good luck,
    Daniela

Welcome - and you have been busy!

I just realised that you haven't included fruit and vegetables - prices of these can fluctuate widely out of season. It may not be so bad for you up there in the north, but in Wellington at least you would find capsicums/peppers for instance costing in the region of $5 each in winter and much cheaper in summer And whilst strawberries may seem cheap now (or at least reasonably priced) be prepared for them increasing dramatically in prize at Christmas-time to cater for the pavlova demand!
    Pakiri is beautiful - you can go riding there too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast