Thread: Seasonal Fruit and Veggies

Default Seasonal Fruit and Veggies

Having been living in the tropics for all my life (well, except for a short stay near the North Pole) I am used to having all kinds of fruit and veggies all year long
    Would you please tell me what fruit and veggies can be found all year long and what are seasonal?
    If anyone come from Southeast Asia (SEA - Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand), I'd also like to know what veggies native to SEA that we can find in NZ and are they expensive?
    Thanks.....

This "NZ produce calendar" might help; there's also a weekly produce report on this website:
    http://www.turnersandgrowers.com/t-a...duce-calendar/

Oregonkiwi, that is AWESOME; thanks!

For Asian vegetables - it depends on where you move to. You will find a good variety in the cities of Auckland, Welly etc (Auckland having the largest Asian pop.) but it defers from place to place. Most fruits/veges stores are Asian-owned so they provide Asian veges but at a higher cost. So would not recommend you eat them all the time unless you have a strict diet or lots of funds for it. Asian veges you'll find like bok choy, Chinese cabbages, mushrooms, bean sprouts etc are common in these stores but veges like asian spinaches, kangkong, tapioca (here it is kumara, taro) are rare and expensive if you can find them. Similarly with fruits in SEA like rambutan, mangosteen etc are non-existent. Managed to find durian but it is frozen,pressured-pack so it did not look attractive. You definitely have to change and adapt your taste buds to incorporate local NZ veges into your cooking. It's not as bad as you think - the veges here are really good, and fresh so you are definitely eating healthier and better.

Oregonkiwi: thanks a lot, that really helps

Batgirl: thanks a lot, your info really helps too. Looks like I have to start compiling new recipes ) and enjoys those fruit and veggies here while I can
    here in Thailand also NZ produce brings to mind freshness and of superior quality though I read somewhere in this forum that farmers used lots of chemicals too but maybe still less than in other countries (?, no statistics to back up my guess though)