Thread: Working holiday visa to permanent residency? Has any one done this?

Default Working holiday visa to permanent residency? Has any one done this?

Hello everyone, this is my first post so be gentle ha ha.

Basically on my Eoi I score 105 points, this is with a job offer (which I don't have yet but would get before I submitted it) My qualifications are not on the list, otherwise that would be another 40 points. I'm a carpenter and have a city and guilds cskills level 3 advanced construction award. I do not have an nvq, if I did I would get another 40 points.
    So here are my questions should I study for the nvq and then once I have achieved it submit my EOI? (This is made difficult by the lack of work in the UK as it involves on site assessments)
    Or could I get a 12 month working holiday visa and once im in New Zealand with a job offer submit my Eoi which would then be 110 due to a years work experience in NZ?
    Would being in the country help with me EOI in anyway? I'm desperate to live there after experiencing the Kiwi lifestyle for 6 weeks last year. I have the funds required for the working holiday visa. But I don't want to get settled and invest in tools only to have to return to the uk.
    Would gaining an NVQ qualification make me lose my relevant work experience, due to gaining it now?
    Has any one been in a similar situation? Whats my best options?
    Any help or advice is very much appreciated
    Cheers Dave

I am a 24 year old carpenter with 5 years work experience. No Criminal record and I would be looking to move to Christchurch.
    Last edited by sidewalkdave; 7th December 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Hello mate, I hope that someone with more knowledge will give you some kind of advice.
    I will be in a similar situation in March , being on a Work Visa, with skills not on demand by the INZ and
    willing to get a resident visa.

all the best

I see nobody has answered your question, so I'll add some thoughts gained from looking at the INZ website.

I don't think you can apply under Skilled Migrant, putting in an EOI, because the job of carpenter does not appear on the LTSSL. However, it is on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List - the work particularly needed for the Christchurch rebuild - and it says in connection with that that you may be able to get a temporary work visa if you qualify. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...st20121115.pdf
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....rs+and+Joiners

Hi,

My partner and I are trying that at the moment. We have Masters degrees in Accounting and Auditing and found good paid contract work. However it is still quite difficult because the contract is limited due to the visa restrictions (you are not allowed to take up permanent employment) and NZ Immigration doesn't recognize that the work as ongoing and sustainable because it's a contract with an end date (although the only reason for the end date are the visa restrictions). We are still hoping and I would definitly try it as NZ is wonderful and maybe there is some possibility with those Cantabury Skilled shortage lists. Cheers

Working holiday visa to permanent residency? Has any one done this?

Yes, a lot of people have been able to do this AFAIK.