Thread: Fibre!

Talking Fibre!

Yay we are online with Orcon UFB. 26.82 down and 9.12 up. How terrible

Lucky so and so. That's double our down and 9 times our up. Where are you roughly. I couldn't find Yo Yo Yo P-Town Represent! on the map. How much are you paying if that's not too long nosed a question.

Hehehe sorry P-Town is slang for Porirua! We're in the P-Town suburb of Whitby. Can't believe our mayor actually suggested advertising Porirua as P-Town. We're paying $99 a month for unlimited (at the moment - might change that). It's unlimited data and a free landline with free calls to other NZ landlines. Not too long-nosed at all.

The fibre roll-out is a government programme happening over the next 10 - 15 years. We just happen to live in one of the very first areas it was rolled out in, by pure luck!

Halswell in Chch is all fibred up too A friend is blogging his experiences, it's been interesting reading for the if/when we decide to sign up too.

http://halswellufb.blogspot.co.nz/

Interesting, Sophie, thank you for that!

Did your friend actually have warning that they were going to show up to install from the road to the house? hehe ... our installation was purely accidental! Hubby happened to be working from home as he had a software install to do for a client in Chile at stupid o'clock, and just stayed put. Chorus showed up to do the final install even though they'd not got in touch to say when they would do it. Then Orcon said "oh yeah, that was today, hope it all went well, and your modem is on the way" and then put a "signature required" on it. Sods.

Even so, well worth it!

I live in Halswell (Aidanfield) and the streets have fibre. Early last week I saw our neighbour having it installed to their home and wasn't aware of the hassles required to bore a hole underground to reach to the house telephone connection point. From what I gather, there isn't many that have switched over.

I'm not at all sold on switching the telephone voice line over to Voip setup (that the fibre modem will have). Two main issues that concern me is 1) Digital networks are not proven yet in house alarm monitoring systems as the signal is routed through TCP/IP and not through hard wire Telco lines that the whole industry of alarm monitoring systems are based on. 2) Packet transmissions with TCP/IP is not on a timely basis which on the odd occasion, receiving incoming faxes aren't always 100% - especially overseas long distance faxing (ever wonder why calling 1/2 way around the world the voice conversation can sometimes be delayed or you get the feeling 1/2 way in a conversation you get a silence or pause that is like listening to a wall?).

The blog mentions RJ6 which is incorrect. The type of connector is RJ11 (a little smaller than RJ45 ethernet network cable) :

Tip: Chances are your ADSL modem will be connected with an RJ6-RJ6 cable, so you can use it to connect your cordless phone to the Fritz!Box versus having to go and buy one 8-).

Super_BQ, we've not had a phone line - a land line - for years. We've had a Skype phone all that time, with no real problems. It also means that for 25 Euros a year, we get a choice of foreign phone numbers that will ring at our house, including one with my parents' town's area code, so when they call us, they just make a local phone call.