Thread: 3 months in in Welly - new perspectives

Default 3 months in in Welly - new perspectives

So...

1. People like to dress up in fancy dress here - a lot. There isn't a night out that you don't see rockstars, zombies etc. in the streets...and that's usually for weddings!
    2. Huge support for local produce and rightly so. The white wine is almost universally extremely tasty and pretty darn cheap for the quality. And the local craft beer - magnificent. The support isn't blind; but if its any good people will support it. If you can afford it Moore Wilson is your friend (interspersed with Pak N' Save).
    3. Expect to have to chip in if you want to fit in. There aren't that many people here so lots of people volunteer in scouting, fire brigade etc. Nothing is worse than being seen as a freeloader. This is country where people *do* things. And there aren't many of them around.
    4. Don't make enemies. The other person is someone's cousins, boyfriend's Dad's cousin. This place is *very small*.
    5. Football is actually quite popular here; not just rugby.
    6. Some things are way ahead of the pack - think Internet Banking- and some things are behind...but if there is a good idea out in the world you can bet someone will be back from their OE and try to implement it.
    7. Bluntness is often seen as straight talking...people don't like to beat about the bush.
    8. You really cannot beat Welly on a good day...and when you hear about your kids following the orcas in harbour and see the little blue penguins swimming in the harbour you begin to understand. The ferry diverts itself when there are dolphin pods. No one seems to mind.
    9. Jackson Street in Petone is really a very cool place to go. Funky shops and two British Goods Shops for the wistful Pom.

happy to read the post !!! Sounds good when its positive for us who are entering NZ soon !!!

Nice post and completely agree! I missed out on seeing some orcas right outside my old place of work by about half an hour grrrr

Yes, interesting post. We're visiting Wellington in a few months time so interested to know more about life there!

Quote Originally Posted by Adams Girl View Post
    Nice post and completely agree! I missed out on seeing some orcas right outside my old place of work by about half an hour grrrr
    Every time I've been to NZ, people have been seeing orcas just BEFORE or just AFTER I've been wherever, but I've never caught a glimpse! At least the last time, I saw dolphins, which has been a joke, too - there's a family member with an ocean-going yacht who has taken us out on each visit, and they 'always see dolphins everywhere', even right in the entrance to the marina, but not when we were along! It took a trip on the Kaikoura whale-watching boat to break that duck.

Great post, i agree completely. I had a ferry to Somes Island in Wellington Harbour divert to see a Southern Right Whale that was slashing its tale about.

Have you discovered the wonderful day trips out of welly yet? The wineries of the wairarapa?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    Have you discovered the wonderful day trips out of welly yet? The wineries of the wairarapa?
    I've just returned from a wonderfully relaxed weekend among the vines in Martinborough once again. Totally recommended!

Otherwise completely agree!