Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Lipped Mussels make me sick!

Unhappy Green Lipped Mussels make me sick!

I've had green lipped mussels three times now and they really do make me sick . First time was on recce in Coromandel, had a mussel platter and got a very upset stomach and was sick, as was DS so put it down to preparation despite the restaurant looking completely OK. I had some last Xmas at office do, same again and put it down to alcohol consumption but since that was not excessive I did wonder if it was mussels. Tried a third time, just one mussel with a meal, no booze and had similar symptoms just no so severe.

According to Google these are known side effects of the extract of the mussel so I guess I'm just really sensitive to them

I 'm fine with the black mussel in Europe - tried them again when we went back on holiday and no problem at all.
    Anyone else had a reaction?

Simon

Nah. Love Green Lipped Mussels.
    Never had a problem with em.

Nick..

Same here- love them, never had a problem.

I know someone who can't touch green-lipped mussels specifically, though fine with European ones, so it does happen. Poor you!

I'm not saying this is what happens to everyone who gets sick eating green lipped mussels but always good to know when and where there are marine biotoxin alerts.

http://www.foodsmart.govt.nz/food-safety/hunting-collecting-fishing/seafood-gatherers/

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It's possible you're allergic to something found in green-lipped muscles. I personally have no problem with them and could eat them by the ton!

Not a problem here by the sound of it, but something to be aware of when travelling:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10853006

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10853004

The poor woman.

I would run to the nearest doctor. I am allergic to peanuts and it sounds very much like what happens to me. I progressed quickly from mild reactions to a very serious anaphylactic reaction. GI reactions are a common reaction (not always the throat tightening, etc) and can be fatal. In the meantime, stay far away from mussels including anything that might be cross-contaminated.

I agree with Dell. Better have a doctor check if you are allergic to some substance in green lipped mussels. It might also be something the mussels filtered out of the water. That I guess is the problem with mussels in general. They take up any and all chemicals from the water.

I just ate my first portion a few days ago, ignoring the disgusted sounds of my OH, and really enjoyed it. Lucky me I didn't have any bad reaction.

Thank's for the concern but I'm sure it is not an allergic reaction, it's an intolerance and matches exactly the side effects of green mussel extract.
    I don't react to any other shellfish and I eat a LOT of it and I would react to that if I had an allergy.

I'm just not eating green lipped mussels in the same way I've switched to soya milk in my porridge because cow's milk upsets my stomach because I am probably starting to get lactose intolerant in my dotage.

Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast