Thread: understanding kiwis in the workplace

Default understanding kiwis in the workplace

Hiya,

This is for (non-british) immigrants who are planning to work in NZ :-). They can be a confusing bunch - Kiwis and Brits are so scared of being impolite that they find it impossible to just say what they mean...

kiwis.jpg

I laughed so hard. When I first met my husband we had these exact miscommunications.

sounds confusing....especially considering Professional talks :-). I need to grasp them........

These expressions aren't confined to the workplace. British and New Zealand formal English (and behaviour) is known for understatement - not giving big public expression to personal emotion. Someone who has just been extremely offended may say, 'That's a bit much.' The best possible outcome could be met with, 'It's very satisfactory.' Odd people, aren't we?!

This is really nice to share we are here in Egypt are considered as rest of the world and I was surprised to find some meanings to be the opposite. I think this will be a challenge when we start work there

I hear what you're saying. I think this is all very interesting. I'll bear it in mind when I'm talking to people. It's really quite good.

This is all good stuff but do keep in mind that most of communication is body language and the tone used when speaking. These aspects are easier to understand than the actual words used.

"Quite" is an interesting one. In Canada it means "very"; in the UK it means "somewhat". My poor English husband was soooo confused!

I think I must actually have been born and raised here... the "What Kiwis Mean" column is what I understand those all as.