Thread: Update: 3 months in

Default Update: 3 months in

Hi all!

This weekend was our third month in NZ.
    The graded result of this stay - *SATISFACTORY*.

We based ourselves in Auckland as we thought that would give us better chances of getting jobs.
    Well! I found two part times at the end of second month.
    At present, since the whole NZ is in vacation mood, my chances of getting a full time job may be at the start of February next year.
    A couple of institutions have shown interest but got to wait until Feb.

My wife have been applying for heaps of jobs, but none has come her way till now.
    Our son started school as he turned 5 in November. He is doing OK at school.
    Now that makes us to have 1.5 job ( 45-50 hours together).That should be fine financially.

Work and Income helped us initially with some benefits and now after the part times, IRD is helping with some tax credits.

Weather is getting better. We hope we will have a good summer before we start the next phase.

We have been staying with our friends (paying rents of course). We plan to move out in rented house from March. That puts us in pressure to buy all the stuff needed in a house.

We are wondering if we can buy the white wares and furniture on hire purchase. Do they require like a working history of a year or so to get that?

The pace is slow here. Good for people who already have some sort of permanent jobs, frustrating for people finding ones..

We hope next year will be good for us.

Cheers

MK

All the best, and great news about what you've accomplished so far.

All the best MK33 !!

Thanks JandM and Sun777

I was still wondering about how hire purchase in NZ works like especially buying whitewares.
    Do they see the bank balance, credit history, salary per annum ?
    Since we are new here so we dont have much history in credit, also most likely we wont be getting jobs which have a contract for 1 yr or more.
    We definitely be getting decent weekly wages from temp/part time jobs.

so what are our options in getting things in hire purchase?

Plz somebody with experience mind to explain..thanks

Cheers
    Madhup

Check out Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond about their financial schemes. However do be aware that hire purchase using comes with conditions and in the long run, becomes more expensive than the item is worth.

Alternatively you can wait for end of Xmas sales (Boxing Day) which you might find some bargains.

If you can't, try looking on trademe for 2nd-hand whiteware stuff. Some of them are sold by dealers and they come with warranty. We bought our fridge 2nd hand since we needed it for 2-3 years and it came with 6 months warranty from a reputable dealer. It gave us no problems at all.

Glad to hear things are going well - hope you have a relaxed Xmas/New Year and that the jobs market picks up pace again in late January for you.

P

Well done on getting settled! It probably feels pretty stressful still, but the first 6 months are tough for just about everyone. It does get better (especially after you both get jobs I'm sure). Try to enjoy some time this summer, yes the weather will get better!!

I second the trade-me or used route for white wares and furniture. There are also many yard sales over the summer where you'll see something you might need.