Thread: Met the condition on my visa – Do I need to tell INZ

Default Met the condition on my visa – Do I need to tell INZ

Hi Everyone

I have a condition on my visa which states I have to work for my employer for 3 months. I met this today. Do I need to inform INZ? If so, how do I contact them?

Do you also have to give them your permanent address?

Thanks
    Spudgun

I seem to remember other people in this situation saying they'd had some paperwork from INZ with their passports when they came back with the visas in, which told them what to do.

Hi Spudgun,

You may have by now found the answer but I just wanted to let you know what I know on this.

I don't think that you have to inform the immigration on this. I believe it is already understood that you would complete at least 3 months with them. Unless of course if you had left them before the three months then you would have had to tell them and found a new job. Now it accepted everywhere in New Zealand even through your conditional visa that you are a resident. I don't really know when the need to tell them arises. The condition says that at the end of 5 years or something, you will have to prove it to them. This part is not clear.

However since you completed the three months, you are an unconditional permanent resident. The only condition you have to fullfil is to stay at least 184 days each year in NZ for the first two years. Other than that now you are free to work wherever you want, for whichever employer and whatever field you want to work in NZ. In fact it doesn't even matter if you didn't work (not that you would want to not work) for residency purposes.

And if you happened to do something else that showed your commitment to NZ like buying a property, investing here, etc you don't even have to stay those 184 days each year.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of these.
    Last edited by kramvi; 18th December 2012 at 02:35 AM.

The thing that says you have five years to show you've fulfilled your three months' condition is quite recent on the instructions, and so far nobody has come up with a reason for it. Normally, members are very keen to get the visa in their passport changed asap for one that is free and clear. Although in theory it's correct that morally, you've got the conditionless Residence, there's no proof of that at a glance for officialdom, and most people feel more secure when they can show their status.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

When we moved over 2 years ago, we had only 7 months to complete the 3-month employment criteria. If you still have the letter that came with your blue-stickered passports, it should detail it all in there. Basically you do have to tell INZ you've met the conditions, otherwise what's the point of having the conditions?

The proof I sent in included some pay slips, some bank statements showing my salary going in (which I kindly highlighted for them ) and a letter from my boss on headed paper. This all did the trick and we had our passports back within 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone!

My visa was issued during a visit to the embassy in London and they didn’t give me any paperwork telling me what to do. I’ve just spoken to the embassy and they advised that they did want to know my permanent address and I could request the removal of the Section 49 restrictions if I wanted to. Also advised that any new employer could use an online system to check the status of a visa so not really a problem. I have to provide a copy of my contract and 3 months bank statements.

Cheers

Thanks for the update - that's helpful to know.

I am in the same position so I called INZ here in Auckland. Here's the gist of what they told me, Once you meet either or both of the section 49(1) conditions you need to:

1. Write a letter with your residential address, client number and application number requesting these conditions be removed from your visa.
    2. Submit proof of having worked for the 3 months - payroll stubs or a letter from your employer
    3. Submit proof of having been paid for the 3 months - statement from your bank showing the deposits, with your residential address appearing on the statements

Bring all that and your passport with your resident visa to your nearest INZ office. There is no estimated processing time (she checked) so assume it could be several days or a couple of weeks if the INZ branch is busy. Which is why I'll submit mine after the holiday break in January!