Thread: Work to Residence Visa - why don't more people use WTR?

Default Work to Residence Visa - why don't more people use WTR?

I've got to say that after Lurking and Posting over the last month that I'm now concerned that I may be making this type of Visa out to be overly simple.

Most other people posting are using the Skilled Migrant scheme. Under this scheme my wife has 125 points I think and me even less. Not enough as I'm reading. Being the problem solver that I am, I then went looking for an alternative and the Work to Residence seemed the right choice. I've been scouring the web for postings of jobs with Accredited Employers, I see a 3-5 per week, and just last week posted a position that I qualify for, in a city that I think I would like to live in with an Accredited Employer.

Now, unless I'm the luckiest person alive I don't expect to get it, but to use it as a learning experience.

The way I read, if I was to get an offer for a position with an Accredited Employer, get the medical and police checks done and my application for WTR is approved, then I'm in. This seems waaaay easier than all the postings I read. Now I assume that people having it as I've just described probably wouldn't be posting, but I just wanted to make sure.

Now I know I've oversimplified the process, but am I missing something major?
    If not why don't more people use WTR?

Barret

My guess is, it could be because there's still some uncertainty even after obtaining such a visa. You can move to NZ, work there for the life of your visa, and MAYBE not then qualify for Residence. If you've shifted your whole focus, family, and life, to be told you have to leave is not the happiest outcome. Admittedly, this is probably a rare situation, but it exists, because there are definite requirements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iworkfromresi/ Then, even always supposing all works out okay, some people aren't happy at the idea of paying for another round of visa applications to get their Residence when they eventually qualify.

If you fit the requirements and get a job offer it is quick and easy and can often be obtained in a few days.Disadvantages being that you have to stay in that job (although your partner gets a work visa for any job) and you apply again for residency after 2 years. If all goes well getting residency is very quick and you can get permanent residency if you earn over a certain amount. It's ideal if you are going to stay in the same job and are short of time, especially if your employer pays the visa costs. With more time you can go down the more usual route.

Thanks guys.

I've been with my current employer for 21 years, so I'm not the type to move around.

The downsides to the WTR do seem big, but, not likely to come to fruition.

Once again your input is much appreciated!

Barret

Hi
    Can I ask a question regarding the WTR please?
    I will be applying for a WTR as soon as I recieve a job offer (will be touting myself around March) and hope to be in NZ by July 2013. I have a wife and two children who are 8 and 15. If I am granted a WTR, do I have to apply for two student visas and a partner residence visa in order for my family to join me ? If so, how long will they last if I apply all at the same time as I will be leaving first with my family following a couple of months later ?

Thanks
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ray1980 View Post
    Hi
    I will be applying for a WTR as soon as I recieve a job offer (will be touting myself around March) and hope to be in NZ by July 2013. I have a wife and two children who are 8 and 15. If I am granted a WTR, do I have to apply for two student visas and a partner residence visa in order for my family to join me ? If so, how long will they last if I apply all at the same time as I will be leaving first with my family following a couple of months later ?

Thanks
    Ray
    For your children you would apply for student visas and for your partner you would apply for a work visa under family stream.
    Simplest to apply for them all at the same time and they will last for the same length of time as your visa (normally 30 months).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Barret&Heather View Post
    Now I know I've oversimplified the process, but am I missing something major?
    If not why don't more people use WTR?

Barret
    The WTR process is really geared for those people who don't have enough points to apply directly for residence.

The main issues with the WTR is that you have to apply for residence at two years and it is possible that you won't be granted residence and will have to leave the country.

It also seems to be favoured by the employer as it tends to tie the employee to them for the entire period of time, unlike residence where you can move on at any time.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ray1980 View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    Ray
    Yes, as said above you apply for them all at the same time as your WTR visa and your wife should get a work visa and your children student visas for the same length as your visa.

It doesn't matter if you leave earlier, and your family follows later.

The WTR visa is also called a Talent Visa and is often used as a quick and easy way to bring talented and skilled workers to NZ. It can be given very quickly, ours came back by return of post. Yes, there is the problem of perhaps not being given residence after 2 years but if you fulfil the criteria - same job, certain level of salary - you get residence/permanent residence very swiftly after 2 years. It is processed in NZ by the business migration branch and again has a quick turnaround. It is often used for university appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Yes, as said above you apply for them all at the same time as your WTR visa and your wife should get a work visa and your children student visas for the same length as your visa.

It doesn't matter if you leave earlier, and your family follows later.

The WTR visa is also called a Talent Visa and is often used as a quick and easy way to bring talented and skilled workers to NZ. It can be given very quickly, ours came back by return of post. Yes, there is the problem of perhaps not being given residence after 2 years but if you fulfil the criteria - same job, certain level of salary - you get residence/permanent residence very swiftly after 2 years. It is processed in NZ by the business migration branch and again has a quick turnaround. It is often used for university appointments.

Thanks a lot. Very helpful info

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    For your children you would apply for student visas and for your partner you would apply for a work visa under family stream.
    Simplest to apply for them all at the same time and they will last for the same length of time as your visa (normally 30 months).

Ian
    Cheers Ian, very helpful