Thread: Shopping for large appliances

Default Shopping for large appliances

I just started the house hunt two days ago but I'm also looking at large appliances in anticipation!

www.priceme.co.nz is a really good resource - it compares prices and also gives reviews. I also bought 'Consumer' magazine, (consumer.org.nz) similar to Consumer Reports in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I just started the house hunt two days ago but I'm also looking at large appliances in anticipation!

www.priceme.co.nz is a really good resource - it compares prices and also gives reviews. I also bought 'Consumer' magazine, (consumer.org.nz) similar to Consumer Reports in the U.S.
    I find that http://pricespy.co.nz/ is better, but always good to check them both.

Ian

Yesterday my wife was looking at a ride on toy for our little one on Amazon.com. The price in USD is cheap but I could not imagine what the cost would be to ship that over to NZ (being an oversized item which can't be shipped through the post office, maybe $200+ extra handing fees?).

Always, ALWAYS negotiate a discount if you are buying large appliances in NZ. Published prices are pretty much meaningless unless you are buying from an on-line supplier. A couple of weeks ago we got over $900 off a new condenser tumble-dryer (and no, it wasn't a display model), which just goes to show what ridiculous mark-ups most retailers charge.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    I find that http://pricespy.co.nz/ is better, but always good to check them both.

Ian
    thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Always, ALWAYS negotiate a discount if you are buying large appliances in NZ. Published prices are pretty much meaningless unless you are buying from an on-line supplier. A couple of weeks ago we got over $900 off a new condenser tumble-dryer (and no, it wasn't a display model), which just goes to show what ridiculous mark-ups most retailers charge.
    Thanks for this info too! I knew the rule is to negotiate - but wow - $900 off? That's great!!