Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Netflix / TV / Washing Machine / XBox

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    61

    Default Netflix / TV / Washing Machine / XBox

    Can you use Netflix in New Zealand?

    I know this is asked a lot but as our tv is about 6 or 7 years old, does anybody know if it will work in NZ. It is in perfect condition so not worth replacing yet, it is a Sony Bravia and has a hdmi connection.

    We also bought a brand new washing machine 2 months ago as our old one died, do these work in NZ or is the plumbing at the back different?

    Should my son trade in his XBox here and buy a new one in NZ, are the games a different format?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Christchurch from Scotland
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    Tv is fine if working through sky box...we had no issues. Washing machine is fine but check if you need 13 amp socket as many NZ ones are 10amp. Not sure about Xbox, but if you search the forum I'm sure this has been asked before.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California to Tasman Bay
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    You can't use Netflix streaming in NZ unless you do some fancy tech stuff. If you search for it in the search box there are a few threads about it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Top of the South!
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Netflix is not available in NZ. So who have to use a service like http://www.unblock-us.com/ which gets around our location restrictions.

    We have been using http://www.unblock-us.com/ for a few months and it works fine with UK and US versions of Netflix. It cost about $5/month

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California to Tasman Bay
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Netflix is not available in NZ. So who have to use a service like http://www.unblock-us.com/ which gets around our location restrictions.

    We have been using http://www.unblock-us.com/ for a few months and it works fine with UK and US versions of Netflix. It cost about $5/month
    I haven't seen that one. Does it work for hulu?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Top of the South!
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I haven't seen that one. Does it work for hulu?
    Yes, but you will need a US itunes account or credit card to setup Hulu. Amazon on demand works as well as well asBBC Iplayer. It works well, because you can change your "location" on the fly depending on what you want to access. And its all Ipad/Apple TV friendly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kaipara, New Zealand
    Posts
    257

    Default

    We use HMA vpn service that lets us access any of our streaming sites from overseas. It costs us $5 a month as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland to Wellington
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Your TV and washing machine should be fine, we just plugged our machine in, no problems at all. You will be glad you did when you see the price of front-loading washing machines here.
    No idea about the other stuff but other people will be able to help I am sure.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Your TV and washing machine should be fine, we just plugged our machine in, no problems at all. You will be glad you did when you see the price of front-loading washing machines here.
    No idea about the other stuff but other people will be able to help I am sure.
    Just a reminder as posted by Mamee & Co above, some electrical items from the UK use more power than NZ wiring is designed to handle safely and even if you plug it in and it works, that doesn't mean that you don't have a problem.

    You can normally check by seeing how much power or current the device takes (check the label or manual) if it says more than 2400W or 10A then it isn't safe to use on a standard NZ mains socket and you may need to have the affected socket 'upgraded' if it hasn't been already.

    Also note that this doesn't just affect washing machines but anything that draws a lot of power e.g. Kettles, Heaters, Dryers etc.

    Ian

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NZ (Auckland; via Canada)
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    I too use VPN. Very reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    We use HMA vpn service that lets us access any of our streaming sites from overseas. It costs us $5 a month as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •