Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living/Working in New Zealand... Where's best??

The last decent shake (IMHO) in Christchurch was a year ago on 23rd December. It's probably one of the safest cities for earthquakes now since anything that was dodgy has been demolished. I believe they've knocked down about 1000+ buildings and will have finished by mid-2013 when the city centre will finally open. Plus there's practically a guaranteed job in construction for Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Twunky View Post
    The last decent shake (IMHO) in Christchurch was a year ago on 23rd December. It's probably one of the safest cities for earthquakes now since anything that was dodgy has been demolished. I believe they've knocked down about 1000+ buildings and will have finished by mid-2013 when the city centre will finally open. Plus there's practically a guaranteed job in construction for Kev.
    Hit the nail on the head there... Nelson's out the equation due to limited work for Kev so we are thinking christchurch or dunedin... tauranga was an option but read on a few forums wages are not ideal and renting is expensive

My friend was actually in christchurch during that earthquake..

I'd just finished work for Xmas and was enjoying a beer at home. My parents were over visiting on hoilday and having lunch with my brother. He told me that he was inside a pub ordering food with my Mum and when they came outside my Dad said to him: "Son, I ordered a Heineken, not an earthquake"

My Mum later told me "I thought it would have felt bigger"

I'd have to agree with the safety.

Not only has any unreinforced masonry come down, but so have any dodgy buildings or anything loose, building codes are incredibly strict, everything is being built with the risk of a quake in mind, emergency systems more prepared, now ready for tsunamis, scientists now know where faults are and can monitor them etc. etc.

And let's face it - a quake can appear anywhere or happen anywhere.

Not sure 23 Dec was the last decent shake - the one which woke me up on Christmas Eve, or some of those jolts in Jan were bad, but as you say, will be some time before the next one.....

And ChCh is still a cracking city.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12