Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when my dog arrives

Default What happens when my dog arrives

Hi folks, we are going to bringing our old but still very fit border collie cross(Roy) with us. Sending him with Golden Arrow, but what happens when he gets there, read on web site that he needs 30 days in isolation at your home. Bearing in mind we will be staying in a hotel for a while, we're not sure are strict MAF are. do they check if so we can put him in kennels. We are going to be in the Hamilton area, does anyone know of any kennels that they can reccommend. This is causing more worry that anything else, you can tell we don't have kids. Roy is like my baby.

Thanks

Fiona

Hi Fiona,
    Can't help very much I'm afarid but I definitely remember reading somewhere (quite possibly on this forum) that MAF have been known to make spot checks to make sure the dog hasn't been taken out. I remember thinking that our dog isn't going to be happy with no walks for 30 days.
    Hope someone else can maybe give you more info.
    Cheers.

I think you have to let Maff know where he is and if you move notify them as to the address but dont take him out on walks! i have the same dilemma with my 2 dogs and 4 cats and will proberly let golden arrow keep them there untill I have purchased a house which I will do as soon as I get there. I am also being put up in a motel for the first 2 weeks.
    When you collect him from the airport make sure you have some money with you as Maff will want some for one of the permits also take a bottle of water and bowl as I believe they are very thirsty.
    Sorry i cant help you on kennels but there is a website www.doglinks.co.nz which has loads of doggy info and lists of kennels etc. Hope this helps

Our dogs went straight out. we had heard about the 'house arrest' for a month but nobody at maf said anything about it when we picked them up so they went straight out for a walk.

Same for us we also let him straight out. There were no instructions from MAF to keep indoors for the first 30 days.

Good Luck. GA are fantastic and your collie couldn't be in better hands.

Only instruction we had from Maf when we picked up our Collie in june was to give them the address he was going to be at for the next 48 hours, just in case of a major outbreak of something in the uk. We went straight out for walkies that morning.

Be prepared for a pain at the airport, Went to ANZ cargo, then to customs, then to MAf, than back to ANZ cargo. To pick up the right bits of paperwork in the correct order, takes about 1.5 hours. You get to see the dog at the start, and take him out for a quick pee. Then he has to go back in the box while you do the rest of the paperwork. We got a dirty look from our boy, when he had to go back in the box.

I know what you mean about the worry, I was so glad when Lucky made it over in one piece, he's 9 now and that's getting on in collie terms.

We went straight to AirNZ Cargo at Wellington and picked our dog straight up. It took about 15 minutes in all, you have to pay a small fee (I think about $25). He went through MAF inspections at Auckland so by the sounds of foolsgold 99 story we were pretty lucky.

We did find it took our dog about a week to settle in again and that his routine was a bit out of sync, same us in a way I suppose. :-)

Hi guys, what is this golden arrow? are they shipping agents?
    I have been quoted for bringing my 2 dogs £1981.11 from dull UK into NZ and get this! that's not including vet fees which are estimating at £200.00GBP per dog.... gonna cost more to ship them than us! blooming madness, still they are part of my family and i am taking them so ner ner ner. MAF do ya worst!!! lol

obviously have quite small dogs. try a rotti X and alsation X. reckon we paid £500 for Brins ear space alone.

We've been quoted just over £1700 with golden arrow, for just one dog. that includes all vet fees and everything. We also have a cat but she is nearly 18 and decided she may not travel so a friend is going to adopt her from us. We chose GA, because they seemed more caring and also lots of recommendations from you folks on this forum. Asked for a quote from Animal Airlines and they emailed me and said I was cruel to send my dog at his age (13) What I wrote back is not repeatable on here, needless to say I did not get a reply.

Will let everyone know how we get on with GA when my dog arrives safely.

Fiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast