Thread: Student loans

Default Student loans

Hi there,

Is it true that you have to be 4 years here before u can get a student loan??

I arrived on 3rd oct 2010 on a resident visa via by kiwi partner, that needed to be upgraded to an indefinite one 2 years later.. So I did that mid Oct this year...

I applied for a student loan to do my course next year and have been told I don't qualify cos I have had to live here for 2 years and be permanent resident for 2 years... Aaaaggghh.... So according to the powers I am living here over 2 years but only "permanent" for 2 months so far... This sucks. (See I am a kiwi at heart!!!)

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Hi there,

Is it true that you have to be 4 years here before u can get a student loan??

I arrived on 3rd oct 2010 on a resident visa via by kiwi partner, that needed to be upgraded to an indefinite one 2 years later.. So I did that mid Oct this year...

I applied for a student loan to do my course next year and have been told I don't qualify cos I have had to live here for 2 years and be permanent resident for 2 years... Aaaaggghh.... So according to the powers I am living here over 2 years but only "permanent" for 2 months so far... This sucks. (See I am a kiwi at heart!!!)

Cheers,
    From studylink website...

To get a Student Loan, you'll need to:
    be a New Zealand citizen; if you're not a New Zealand citizen, you’ll need to be:
    • entitled under the Immigration Act 2009 to reside indefinitely in New Zealand and have done so for at least 2 years (i.e. have held a residence class visa for at least 2 years) and be
    • ordinarily resident in New Zealand or
    • a refugee or protected person and be entitled under the Immigration Act 2009 to reside indefinitely in New Zealand (i.e. hold a residence class visa)

So you qualify as of October 2012. Sounds like someone doesn't know the rules correctly.

Ian

It may be that the paperwork that official was looking at is some of the MANY in other government departments that hasn't been updated with the changes of terminology, that is, that Residence when you arrive used to be called PR.

As well as Ian's link, you could wave this at them. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    [*]entitled under the Immigration Act 2009 to reside indefinitely in New Zealand and have done so for at least 2 years (i.e. have held a residence class visa for at least 2 years) and be
    mmm I am just soooo confused JM and Ian.... So from the above on their website as Ian point out it does mention "indefinate". I was not indefinate until Oct of this year as had to do my 2 year stint on a multiple entry visa and behave etc etc etc!! But I have still resided here on a "resident visa" for over 2 years with every intention of remaining here being married to a kiwi, have a house etc...
    I'll go back to them with this and see what comes from it..

Cheers for your help...

A Residence visa IS something that gives the right to stay indefinitely in NZ. When once you have that, if you don't leave the country, you could legally stay there for life. (It's only travel conditions that expire after two years, then, when you go and get PR, you can come and go indefinitely, too.)

Hi JandM,

Thanks so much for great explanation! I just need to now send them my original visa and entry stamp and hopefully that will be that.. If not I'll use your explanation!.. You would think they would have access to Immigration and the dates I first arrived etc!

Hie, did you manage to get any positive feedback, as i find myself in the same boat as you?