Thread: Student loan as an australian

Default Student loan as an australian

Hi,

This is kind of related to immigration so I think this is the right forum otherwise feel free to move it elsewhere.

I'm an Australian citizen and I've lived and worked in New Zealand for 7 years now. I bought a house earlier this year and have married a nice kiwi girl.

Next year I've been accepted to study at Auckland uni, but in filling out the student loan forms, it asks me when I received my residence visa. As an Australian, I assumed that I didn't need any sort of visa to live and work here and so never bothered to apply for anything, but now I'm worried I'll have to get one and go through this 2 year stand down process. Since I've been here for 7 years and have worked and paid taxes during that time, am I already technically a resident I just don't have the paperwork for it? If that is the case, what date do I put down as the date I received my residency? Is it the day I first arrived in New Zealand?

I'm quite confused and am hoping I am still able to get a student loan. If anyone has an experience in this sort of situation, some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello.

I'm happy for you that I just found this. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1197

Looks like that's good news!