Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ number plates

Default NZ number plates

Hi all - sorry for what may be a daft question, but what is the position with the government plates issued for imported vehicles. Are these mounted before the car is released by customs or is this something you have to arrange yourself? I only ask because I want to get the standard plates converted to Euro plates and would prefer customs not to drill any further holes for mounting the plates on the car. Thanks for your help

Customs has nothing to do with your number plates.

We got the car through the compliance, then took the paperwork to the AA vehicle centre thingy to pay tax and registration, got plates and then went and put them on the car.

This is as I remember, might have left out a couple of steps, but the main thing is that customs really aren't that fussed about your plates, so nothing to worry about there.

Daniela

We got our own plates from VINZ and returned to the garage who mounted them. Don't think there were moe holes...adhesive is used I think..plus NZ late is smaller than UK one.

Quote Originally Posted by plastickiwi View Post
    I only ask because I want to get the standard plates converted to Euro plates ....
    Genuinely interested in why you might want to do this? It's not that you will be popping over to France for your jollies Or am I missing something from my long list of things I should know?

We did this for the motorbike today. We took the paperwork from the shop that certified the bike for road worthiness, my husband's driving licence (Canadian still) and passport (Australian, as it were), paid the annual fee and rocked out with a plate and decals in no time. Still need to find a plastic casing for the WOF and rego stuff, plus drill holes in the number plate to mount it on the bike. But ostensibly he's free to ride as soon as.

We used the AA Shop on Albert Street in city centre Auckland. Same place I transferred my Canadian driving licence to a NZ one. Lovely people.

customs not to drill any further holes for mounting the plates on the car
    As mentioned, no new holes as long as the NZ plates fit. However if you're concerned about holes being drilled, certain imported vehicles end up with a new registration # tag (instead of the vehicle's VIN # or as a replacement) and this has to be mounted somewhere on the vehicle. Most common place is under the bonnet on the firewall but sometimes on the driver's door side pillar. The reason for NZ requiring new # tags is the computer system in NZ does not recognise ALL VIN numbering formats for every vehicle made around the world.

The holes are in the number plate, not the bike itself. take a look: many bikes in NZ have custom drilled holes: there's often no other way to mount the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    As mentioned, no new holes as long as the NZ plates fit. However if you're concerned about holes being drilled, certain imported vehicles end up with a new registration # tag (instead of the vehicle's VIN # or as a replacement) and this has to be mounted somewhere on the vehicle. Most common place is under the bonnet on the firewall but sometimes on the driver's door side pillar. The reason for NZ requiring new # tags is the computer system in NZ does not recognise ALL VIN numbering formats for every vehicle made around the world.

Little confused...mainly cos of too much Xmas grog but........ can I bring my private plate from UK to NZ and put on my car here?

No, not directly. If you import a vehicle, it has to be checked for compliance, registered in NZ, and given NZ registration plates. After that, if you want personalized plates, you can get them, and transfer them from car to car for as long as you want. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...sonalised.html NZ allows you to make up the plate you want, within reason, as long as nobody else has already got it, so you might be able to have the same registration number as you had in the UK, but it wouldn't be the same plate, without going through the formalities.

Use this to see If the plate you have now is available in NZ

http://www.plates.co.nz/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast