Thread: Evidence for dependant child >21 <24 years

Default Evidence for dependant child >21 <24 years

I've assembled or have in train (medicals and IQA) all of the evidence for my ITA. But the one thing that has me stumped is what might be asked to prove my daughter is dependant. The INZ "tips" refer you to the manual, but that doesn't say what the requirements might be. It seems to be much easier for children under 21, even if they live away from home

My daughter is:
    1) single with no children of her own
    2) lives at home (not unusual in the UK these days!)
    3) finished University in June 2012 and was on Job Seekers Allowance* until Nov 2012
    4) now works in a temporary (non graduate) job with take home pay that wouldn't allow her to live independantly and I get £2.44 (wow) council tax benefit for her. Her original contract was to 29/12 but she has just got an extension to February 2013.
    5) Relies on me to get her to her temporary job as it is 10 miles away with no public transport and she doesn't drive - which costs £50 a week in petrol out of her £190 a week take home pay.

Despite all of that she has a B Eng (Hons) in Aeronautical Engineering (on the LTSS) and both her degree and her University are on the exempt list! If she were my partner I'd get 20 points for her

So is there anyone here with experience of including an adult but dependant child in the 21 to 24 age bracket? What sort of things weer you asked for by your case officer as proof of dependancy?

And on Xmas Eve Eve, best wishes to everyone for the festive season!

*a Uk benefit paid to the unemployed " in support of their search for work" - otherwise known as unemployment benefit!
    Last edited by RedVee; 24th December 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Our 21 yr old came with us, he didn't go to uni though and was working part time (30 hours) minimum wage. We supplied a statement similar to your post with back up evidence: bank statements, proof of income, copy of contract to show incoming/ outgoing monies
    We also sent an insurance document showing he was a named driver on our policy and a quote for his own insurance (ouch!)
    Also a list of rental prices to show what he paid for board and rent was far less than rent only on a tiny flat in the same area.
    We weren't asked to provide anything else and he got in and is still dependent on us here in New Zealand

Hope this helps.

Simon

We did all of the above, gave them everything they asked for, full filled all their criteria and they still declined his application.

Thanks DoreySC. So they left it to you to provide what you thought was reasonable evidence.

Rob&Don that's very concerning to hear. How old was your son at the time and was there anything unusual in his circumstances (medical, police check, a child of his own maybe not living with him, etc?) Don't want to be nosy but just wondering on what grounds they would refuse? Did he get his own visa in the end?

The onus is on you to provide documentation as evidence to back up all of your claims in the ITA and if they deem it sufficient then that's it. I'm pretty sure I followed the advice of an earlier poster but it was a while ago and I can't seem to find that archived post now.
    Apart from uni students, living away from parents seems to be an application killer - I guess that shows an unacceptable level of independence.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee View Post
    Thanks DoreySC. So they left it to you to provide what you thought was reasonable evidence.

Rob&Don that's very concerning to hear. How old was your son at the time and was there anything unusual in his circumstances (medical, police check, a child of his own maybe not living with him, etc?) Don't want to be nosy but just wondering on what grounds they would refuse? Did he get his own visa in the end?
    He was 24 at the time, absolutely nothing unusual about his circumstances, met ALL the criteria, passed medical police, check etc....They just concluded he was not dependent enough. End of. Have put in an appeal against their decision, more $$$$ which incidently takes approx a year to be heard, now through desperation on an international student visa which has cost us all our savings and more, $25,000, to enable him to stay here with us. (Absolutely No Family Left In The UK)
    Employed an immigration lawyer to act for us, yet more $$$$, who has absolutely no idea how immigration could decline his application when he was clearly dependent on us for everything.
    Sorry to sound so negative but for us immigration seem to have no common sense or compassion for anyone whatsoever.
    Even when you fullfill all their criteria its stilll not good enough.
    By the way this was the HAMILTON branch.

We went through London branch. All branches should use the same criteria but I think we can safely say there is enough anectdotal evidence on this forum of inconsistent application of the rules. Fortunately we did not hit a roadblock on this one but the MA was a completely different matter. Nightmare, cost us time and money completely unneccesarily.

Simon

Rob&Don that is truly awful. I hope things get resolved for you.

My application is with the London branch too, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it's more straightforward. There is a lot of potential evidence, but I didn't want to over complicate things.

Bottom line is, if she doesn't get approved on my SMC residency visa, I don't go. Not that that will worry anyone at INZ.

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    All branches should use the same criteria but I think we can safely say there is enough anectdotal evidence on this forum of inconsistent application of the rules.
    Ain't that the truth. :-(