Thread: Living In Nelson

Default Living In Nelson

Hi
    Can anyone tell me what it's like living in Nelson?
    Although I am a NZér I have never been to the South Island! ops:

I have spent the past two years travelling around Europe and will go back to NZ this November with my Dutch fiance in tow :mrgreen:

We're looking to live somewhere that is friendly, not too big, and with lots of nature around (beaches, mountains etc).

Does Nelson fit the bill?

I'm really interested to know what the vibe is like there

Thanks in advance
    Lily

I am moving out there beginning of Oct so will beable to give more info then!! :P

It certainly looks fab, its just the property prices that put alot of people off.

Sara

Default Living In Nelson

We're looking to live in Auckland, but have friends in Nelson and were visiting last November.

We loved it. It seems like a great place to live, the beach is fab and with the highest number of sunshine hours per year (Marlborough residents may argue) you can make real use of it.

Our friends have said that property prices have risen but they have been able to buy a small property just 5 minutes from the beach!! There's so many things to do in the area too - Abel Tasman is virtually on the doorstep!!

Good luck :hopeso

I have only just come across this listing as i was browsing through some of the older messages.
    My family and i are moving to Nelson Jan2005[flights booked].When we visited nz,going for job interviews all over the place,when we arrived in Nelson we knew it was where we wanted to be.
    Beautiful beaches,mountains in the background,abel tasman national park near by.
    hope this helps

Hi Lily,

My (dutch) family emigrated to Nelson in Sep03 and love it there. We visited them in April and were very impressed with the place itself and the surrounding area.

From what you mention you are looking for, I think it will fit the bill. One favourite of my mum is the weekly Saturday market, which does in fact remind us very much of the markets that take place in most dutch towns too. And would you believe it, it's quite normal to hear some other dutch speaking people walking amongst the market stalls too - I was very surprised. There is even an Olibol & Coffee stall with some tables and chairs

People are very friendly and relaxed, and the scenery is stunning. I could go on and on, but maybe you can send me a PM if you'd like any specific information or if there's something that maybe I can ask my family for you.

Good choice if you decide to go there, and manage to get a job there ofcourse.

Babette

Hi Lily,
    We went to NZ on holiday last year. We stayed in Nelson for 5 days. It's a great place. I would love to live there. Like others already said: it's really beautiful: nice beach, mountains. Can't wait to go back myself.