Thread: Do companies pay for interview transportation charges?

Default Do companies pay for interview transportation charges?

Hi All,

First of all, I would like to say thanks to all of you for contributing in this forum! You guys are doing wonderful job in helping people in various different matters.

I want to know if companies pay to candidate when they call them for an interview. Actually, I am newly moved to NZ (Auckland). I have my second face to face interview in Wellington (Jan 2013. I'll travel by plane. I was wondering if I should ask the company to pay me for my Air fare and taxi charges etc,

I am asking this because the country from where I came, companies normally don't pay to candidate in such situations. I think it is not the same in NZ.

Thanks in advance for your valuable information.

Short answer is no.

Just to second it: No reimbursements here either.

Where did you get it from that you would get them?!

I have never been paid to attend a job interview in both countries I have lived in but theres no harm in asking especially on a second interview

If you are offered the job I would try to negotiate the expense reimbursement as part of your package.

It can't hurt to ask the HR department. They can either say yes or no. Probably no, but you never know until you ask politely. Good luck!

(we have always been paid expenses for interview costs, including flights, accommodation and all expenses incurred for interviews in NZ. It may be uncommon, but it is not unheard of for interview expenses to be paid.)

Absolutely not unheard of. For a higher level position, we would cover all costs. For a front-line position, we'd look at the situation on a case-by-case basis. If we thought we could easily hire someone locally to fill the role, we probably would not cover travel expenses for an out-of-town candidate.

Thanks guys, you made it clear to me.

I think there should no harm in asking about it. One of my friend who lives in Norway told me that in Norway almost every compnay pays for the interview expenses. While appearing in a face to face interview the HR ask you to present the expense receipts and then they transfer the arrgegated amount into you bank account. I hope it will work in a same way in my case here in NZ

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I had interview expenses paid in the UK (once) but didn't ask here as I was local. Definitely worth asking if they reimburse interview travel costs. But I would phrase it as "Does your company policy allow for the reimbursement of travel costs to attend an interview?" rather than "Will you pay my interview travel costs?" - semantics but the former seems less personal/demanding. Good luck (for the interview and the reimbursement)