Thread: Market for English-Indonesian translator?

Default Market for English-Indonesian translator?

Dear all

sorry for posting such a specific question
    but I would like to know if anyone has any information whether there is market for English-Indonesian translator and vice versa
    I'm considering of taking certification for translator, but not sure if there is market for it or how big it is.

Thanks

Sorry I never heard of this, maybe you can contact the Indonesian embassy in Wellington where they might be able to know some institution that can lead you. I will ask around if I know someone. Why Indonesian, if I may ask?
    I like your signature about reason of moving to NZ, as that was one of my reason of moving. In fact, my wife called me Hobbit and went to Matamata to see Hobbiton itself couple weeks ago before they release The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineW View Post
    but I would like to know if anyone has any information whether there is market for English-Indonesian translator and vice versa
    I'm considering of taking certification for translator, but not sure if there is market for it or how big it is.
    When you say market, do you mean specifically in NZ? Translators tend to work freelance and get their work through translation agencies. Where these are based isn't really important. So I would just google translation agencies and find out if they offer that language and check with them. Are you translating into English or into Indonesian? That may make a difference as to how much work you get.

Good luck,
    Daniela

Xanctus: thanks a lot for your response. Indonesian is my mother tongue. I think it's a good idea to ask the Embassy *why hadn't I think of that *. Yes I was mesmerized by the first LOTR movie, though sadly I didn't get any chance to see the sequels, hope I'll also get the chance to see Hobbiton and mingle with fellow Hobbits there .... thanks again and happy New Year to you

Daniela: I am looking for full time/ permanent job, as a condition to transfer my visa from work visa to residence visa (SMC) and thought that perhaps translation agencies could offer that. I can do both (translating into English or into Indonesia). Honestly I've only done some translations for my own office and some other neighbouring offices, but I found that AUT offers course in Translation studies and I am confident that I can pass the certification test. I found that Indonesian is included in the list of languages that are covered by the translation agencies in NZ. Your suggestion to contact the agencies is great. Thanks and happy New Year to you....

You might want to try these people as well: www.nzsti.org

They are the registering body for translators. There's quite a bit of information on their website.

Hospitals have also an interpreter service and need quite a range of languages, but those are not permanent positions.

Daniela

Daniela, thanks so much again for your input. Now I'm contacting some of the Indonesian - English interpreters/ translators in NZ and looking at hospitals as well )