Thread: Moving to New Zealand

Default Moving to New Zealand

Hey guys,

Newbie here! Hope you all had a great xmas! I wondered if you'd be able to give me some advice as my partner and I are very interested in moving to NZ.

Originally from the UK, we now live in Australia as permanent residents but are now considering a move to New Zealand instead. As we are permanent residents, it is my understanding that we can just rock up to NZ and get an 'automatic' residence visa. Because our Australian permanent residency will expire after the 5 year term, we will eventually need NZ PR which I believe you can get after living in NZ for 2 years. After a total of 5 years, we can then apply for NZ citizenship.

I know in the process we will lose our Australian PR status but its something we will just have to sacrifice to live in NZ. My question is, what rights as an Aussie PR are we entitled to when moving over? Are we allowed to purchase a home/get a home loan during our 2 year residence status? Do we have the same entitlements to healthcare? Can we transfer our driving licences/learn to drive etc?

All I seem to be able to find from the immigration website is that "Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live and work in New Zealand indefinitely."

Any ideas?

Are we allowed to purchase a home/get a home loan during our 2 year residence status? Do we have the same entitlements to healthcare? Can we transfer our driving licences/learn to drive etc?
    Yes to all of those.

Anyone can buy property in NZ, even just visitors to the country (but ownership doesn't convey any rights to stay beyond the life of any visa). Getting a loan is a matter of convincing a lender that you're able for the repayments. Healthcare on the same basis as NZers is a matter of showing an intention to stay longterm (jobs, home, etc. usually). http://www.nzembassy.com/australia/r...nz/health-care Drivers' licences are quite straightforward to transfer http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html, and yes, anyone who can't drive already can learn (see the different stages of licence you have to go through on another page of that same website).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes to all of those.

Anyone can buy property in NZ, even just visitors to the country (but ownership doesn't convey any rights to stay beyond the life of any visa). Getting a loan is a matter of convincing a lender that you're able for the repayments. Healthcare on the same basis as NZers is a matter of showing an intention to stay longterm (jobs, home, etc. usually). http://www.nzembassy.com/australia/r...nz/health-care Drivers' licences are quite straightforward to transfer http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html, and yes, anyone who can't drive already can learn (see the different stages of licence you have to go through on another page of that same website).
    Hi JandM, thank you for the advice/links they're really helpful

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiovercoke View Post
    Hey guys,

Newbie here! Hope you all had a great xmas! I wondered if you'd be able to give me some advice as my partner and I are very interested in moving to NZ.

Originally from the UK, we now live in Australia as permanent residents but are now considering a move to New Zealand instead. As we are permanent residents, it is my understanding that we can just rock up to NZ and get an 'automatic' residence visa. Because our Australian permanent residency will expire after the 5 year term, we will eventually need NZ PR which I believe you can get after living in NZ for 2 years. After a total of 5 years, we can then apply for NZ citizenship.

I know in the process we will lose our Australian PR status but its something we will just have to sacrifice to live in NZ. My question is, what rights as an Aussie PR are we entitled to when moving over? Are we allowed to purchase a home/get a home loan during our 2 year residence status? Do we have the same entitlements to healthcare? Can we transfer our driving licences/learn to drive etc?

All I seem to be able to find from the immigration website is that "Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live and work in New Zealand indefinitely."

Any ideas?
    How can you have "permanent" residency, if it expires in 5 years?

You can apply for NZ residency before you arrive if you have sufficient points. Living in NZ, whilst in Skilled employment, for 2 years will increase your points, but if you have sufficient now, then why wait.

You can apply for citizenship after 5 years, from the point you received your residency.

You can apply for NZ residency before you arrive if you have sufficient points.
    Australian PR holders don't have to go through the skilled migrant process, so points don't come into it.

Yes, but it appears that their "residency" expires in 5years. So I am a bit confused!

The first (5-year) Australian PR visa is like NZ travel conditions, in that if you're outside the country when it expires, you can't freely go back in any more, although if you stayed in Australia you could legally be there forever. All of that is between the individual(s) concerned, and Australia. The point here is that, entering NZ as the holder of Australian PR, a person has special rights (never mind what happens to their Australian PR at a later date).

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1068

Hi, best of luck for your move. I am wanting to make the move across as well, have my sights set on Christchurch. I hope your move goes really smoothly.