Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car registration and WOF

Default Car registration and WOF

Can anyone tell me how much is the registration of small used cars below 2 Liter (2000cc) engine?

Also, does WOF duration need to be exactly the same as Registration period or can we still register for six months if WOF expires in one month?

What else to check if one has to buy a very cheap old car at around $1500 (yes there are plenty of them being sold on Trademe )

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    Can anyone tell me how much is the registration of small used cars below 2 Liter (2000cc) engine?

Also, does WOF duration need to be exactly the same as Registration period or can we still register for six months if WOF expires in one month?

What else to check if one has to buy a very cheap old car at around $1500 (yes there are plenty of them being sold on Trademe )
    Look for the fees for registration, licence etc. here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...s.html#regfees
    Note that you'll need not only a registration for your car if you want to drive it here but also a licence! (Explanation to be found on the same page at the top.)

WoF and licence period do not have to coincide and generally don't do. It appears you are meaning licence here not registration. (Again see the explanatioon on the site as per link the given above!)

Thanks Ralph, you are right I meant license by registration but people usually call it registration or rego.

I asked about time periods as many cars being sold have a month or two of WOF and no rego, but now I know I can get a rego for one year even if WOF is valid for 2 months only.

wow, I cant believe it's almost double the price for a decent sized motorcycle... I'm used to it being a half to a quarter the price of a car for road tax/license fee!

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    Thanks Ralph, you are right I meant license by registration but people usually call it registration or rego.
    Not the people I know here but for newbies; could it be a regional thing this mixing up?!

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Not the people I know here but for newbies; could it be a regional thing this mixing up?!
    The Kiwis I work with all refer to it as rego too - it was a bit confusing until I worked out I was looking for a licence not the registration! It could be regional but the people I work with are from all over. Maybe it's just one of those things that are sometimes used and sometimes not, I find that people sometimes use different terms when talking to me and to other Brits (even those who've been here years) as opposed to other Kiwis - maybe to make it clearer for people who may not be used to colloquialisms.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Don't know the reason but you can see on Trademe website in vehicle section, they don't have a license column at all. Instead they show a registration column for every vehicle and advertisers too write in details section the duration of 'registration' left on vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence&Gemma View Post
    wow, I cant believe it's almost double the price for a decent sized motorcycle... I'm used to it being a half to a quarter the price of a car for road tax/license fee!
    The reason is that NZTA collects the ACC levy through their licenses. The ACC levy is based on risk; motorcyclists are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident, so they have to pay a higher levy.

As a general rule, one has to be very careful buying a car that has an expired registration and WOF.

Ah so like built up health insurance for motorcyclists - ok that makes sense - thanks for clearing that up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast