Thread: 5 years in

Default 5 years in

I'm not a very frequent poster, in fact, I think my last post was my 3 year post. I've just re-read my 1, 2 and 3 year posts, and I noticed that there were 2 things in common to all of them - 1) there had been ups and downs during the year, and 2) I was unhappy with the quality and style of clothing.

Nothing's changed.

There have been ups and downs during the last 2 years. We've gone through a merge of organizations at work, and that has been a major upheaval, and stressful, though with lots of opportunities. I applied for one of the new positions created as a result, and got the job, which was an upward career move for me. It's been good and bad. The new job is rewarding but extremely stressful. It has taught me that I am not a natural "people person" and though I will try to be more approachable, I'm not going to fight my natural instincts. :-)

My daughter is about to turn 10. She has officially spent half her life in New Zealand. She will be in Year 6 in 2013, and then graduate from primary school. All year 6 pupils in her school have to have 2 jobs in order to qualify for the Rainbow's End trip at the end of the year. She will be a peer mediator (which she has received training for) and a staff room monitor (she expects to "clear" away morning tea leftovers).

We've bought a house!! Eventually!! We traipsed through open homes for 18 months, and found the whole process really demoralising. We made 2 unsuccessful offers, being beaten out by people with more money. We saw too many houses that were too old, rundown and were too expensive. In hindsight, I'm thrilled we lost out on those other houses because I love this one. It's light, airy, spacious and warm in winter! I moaned about our last rental in my 3 year post - we could see our breath misting while sitting in the lounge, it was freezing! And dark all the time, had brown linoleum kitchen floors, mouldy bathroom ceilings, a stove with only 2 plates working... We're on leave at the moment - I'm on leave for 5 weeks - and I just want to be home. Because it's awesome.

This year I decided to finally do something about my weight, and went on weight watchers. I lost 10.5 kg, and that has been a highlight for me. 7 years ago I gave up smoking and that made me feel good about myself, but unfortunately it had some repercussions. I have now managed to overcome that too, and that feels great. OH, who gave up smoking with me, has also lost weight with me. I feel like our family will go into 2013 a lot healthier than when we went into 2012. Onwards and upwards :-)

We have a puppy. We promised our daughter that we would get a dog when we bought a house. We got him 3 days ago and he's adorable. He's a griffon x cavalier, so very small. We will get a kitten in a couple of weeks to keep him company. I am not a dog person, much prefer cats, but love our Toby to bits. He's the cutest ever.

I still struggle with quality and price - it feels like I am not getting what I'm certainly paying for! Clothes... I wish they were better. There are 2 styles for women here, short and tight, or stodgy. I prefer neither. Customer service is almost non-existent. There is no respect for authority - I'm thinking of the way people talk to policemen specifically. And we were robbed in our dodgy rental - worse than we were ever robbed in SA. I still worry about binge drinking and girls with no self respect.

However, I've come to realise I would probably have similar concerns anywhere I live. I've got a lot to be thankful for, and I'm always very conscious of it. I love my family, I love my house, and I love not being scared. I have the opportunity for personal growth because I'm not living a life under siege. It's good to be able to face the new year with a positive attitude.

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for the update, Bergita. Congratulations on all the accomplishments, and here's hoping you build more and more contentment as time goes by.

Wow, congrats to you! Hope you have a great new year.

Thanks for sharing a nice post, Bergita. Wish you all the very best for your goals for 2013.

It is good to read Bergita, although not the burglary. I know what you mean about your house, I feel on holiday in mine.....

Thanks for the post Bergita. I hope 2013 brings you lots of joy and peace. And let's hope someone can import some decent clothes. I totally agree.

Sounds like your in control of your own destiny. For the first time I find myself unsettled, largely because of changes at work, and a promotion meaning I have some authority--- and like you discovering I am not a people person. So it's really good to hear about someone who is managing to overcome what NZ throws at us!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I appreciate them. Mamee, that's exactly right, I feel on holiday in my house! (Ok I am actually on holiday but still). Alan I'm only just barely managing... but it gets easier with time, particularly if you play to your strengths rather than concentrating on shoring up your weaknesses.