Thread: KL Stopover

Default KL Stopover

Well our house has been packed up and has started its' voyage to NZ. We leave in less than a week and have a 4 day stop over in KL. We have one day put aside for the elephant sanctuary, but was wondering whether anyone had any ideas on good things to do in KL for a family of four ( 5yo and 3yo children), It would also be good to get an idea on how much money we will need as we won't have credit cards and I don't want to have to withdraw any money out there.

Thanks all and Happy New Year!!

To tell you the truth, I only go to KL once in a while and only for shopping and food - so I can recommend you visit a few shopping districts like Bandar Utama, KLCC (Petronas Towers) etc for a shopping experience. Who knows you might find a couple of bargains along the way. For food, there are plenty of eateries throughout the entire shopping area. Don't be afraid to try and be adventurous. Malaysian food choices are plentiful and the choices can be dizzying. But if the kids prefer safe options, there are still quite a lot of western, fast-food options everywhere so you won't be lacking in choice.

Not having credit cards can be difficult (especially when it comes to booking a hotel room) because carrying loads of cash is not to mention only heavy on your wallet but also could be potentially dangerous. There are some situations of crime in KL so being cautious is better - you can carry a couple of hundred pounds and travellers cheques for safety but I wouldn't be able to put a number of how much you need. It really depends on what you intend to do while in KL.

If you are not into shopping, try visiting the Malaysian Zoo (Zoo Negara) for the kids to entertain themselves. It's been a while since I was there (last time was a young teen) so I suggest you go online to see if the zoo is worth a visit. Of course you can visit the museum and national mosque to get a feel of the history and culture of Malaysia.

You can also take an overnight trip to Genting (2 hours from KL), an integrated resort on the highlands. There are some amusement parks, playgrounds which may be more delightful for the kids than adults but it is worth trying to find out. There are a lot of tour companies in KL which can arrange accommodations and transport to the resort.

Hello there,

I am currently living in KL and here are some of my suggestions.

1) Petronas Twin Tower

-There is an unique double-deck sky bridge stands 170 meters above street level with its arch support forming a symbolic gateway to the city centre. The sky bridge is open to the public from Tuesday to Sunday and is one of the top places to visit in Kuala Lumpur to get an aerial view of KL. The entrance fee is free however you have to wake up early and be there around 7 morning in order to get the ticket.
    -You may also want to spend some time with your kids in the popular tourist destination at Suria KLCC, Aquaria, a giant aquarium which is both an educational as well as an entertaining excursion for adults and children. Tickets, adult RM 50 and child RM 40 for foreigners.
    -You may hang around at Suria KLCC for shopping

2) KL Bird Park-World's Largest Free Flight Walk-In Aviary
    -the KL Bird park is the place to visit in Kuala Lumpur for those who love to see birds in its natural habitat. Located 10 mins from the city center, theis home to more than 2000 birds.
    the ticket, adult RM48 and child RM38 for foreigner

3) KL Butterfly Park
    -After bird park, you may want to visit KL Butterfly Park. Just a short distance from the KL Bird Park, the Butterfly Park is home to more than 6000 butterflies of over 120 species. Open daily from 9am to 6pm. Admission fee is RM 5 (adults) and RM1 (children).

4) you may also want to visit Petaling street and Bukit Bintang. At night the streets are turned to pedestrian walkways where you will find all sorts of bargains. There is free bus service take you to these places (you can find the bus from KLCC).

Above are my few suggestions for your trip in KL and hope it is useful for you. And please remember to be extra careful in KL as you have cash with you and be aware of the taxi too. Have fun in Malaysia and try more local food... its nice!

It's a while since I've been to KL but always ask a taxi driver if they will use the meter before you get in and check it is on when you are in. I'd second being very careful about carrying/showing lots of cash.

My favourite day trip from KL is Batu caves. I think you can get a bus or train there these days. They are a Hindu site and rather beautiful. If you climb the steps, all your sins are forgiven.