Thread: Bachelor Degree vs CPA Program via Distance Learning

Default Bachelor Degree vs CPA Program via Distance Learning

Hi All

I am trying to decide on which route to take to complete my qualification. My husband and I are still in South Africa but plan to move to NZ in the first half of 2013. I have a diploma in accounting and want to further my studies. The plan is for me to study full time at home once my husband finds work, but I need to get started now, so intend to enrol in a distance learning program that I can begin as soon as possible from SA.

I found that I can complete the CPA Program (for entry to CPA Australia) foundation level as an alternative to completing a degree and then progress to the CPA professional level course of study. This sounds very appealing because it involves far fewer subjects, costs a lot less, and could take a lot less time than a beachelor degree. However, I'm making these assumptions based on the reading I've done so am not sure if I'm right or not. I'm also concerned about the work experience requirement of the CPA. My main concern is that I may not be able to find suitable employment in New Zealand to satisfy the work experience component of the CPA.

I would really like advice from fellow forumites in NZ who have done either a BBS Acc / BAcc degree or a CPA via distance learning, as to which of these routes you would recommend and which would be the most sensible route for employment. I'm currently in Accounts Payable and although I have a diploma my experience is very limited due to the silo envoronment I work in. I would like to eventually gain experience to lead me in the direction of a career in property accounting or internal auditing. I really love being in AP but this is not a skill in demand internationally.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact NZICA, the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants for advice. There is a staged programme for learning within NZ, and you can work your way through . You would want to ensure if your long term plan is to settle in NZ that any course you undertake can be used towards membership of that Institute.

Their website in NZICA.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mamee

I'll investigate further with NZICA.

Here's another route you may not have looked at. Don't know if it's what you're looking for.

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/sub...urses/business

http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz/sub...ess-accounting

As NZ's primary professional body for accountants, accountants in NZ have traditionally been members of NZICA.
    In recent years CPA Australia & CIMA have become more common and work experience in NZ can fulfill CPA requirements.
    CPA Australia also recognise study at Tertiary Institutes in NZ and I understand they have, or will soon have, a more tailored pathway for prospective members based in NZ.

Though professional qualifications are useful, NZ employers usually assume accountants have completed a degree before completing their professional studies, so not having a degree may limit your work options in NZ.

Thank you all for your input. I've sent enquiries to a number of institutions and will make a decision based on their responses. I'm very nervous but also really motivated and excited about this new chellenge I've set for myself!