Thread: Applying for residence

Red face Applying for residence

Hi there,
    Happy New Year. Hoping some one can advise me. I am a born and bred Kiwi, been living in UK for 10 yrs and been with my partner who is British for 5 years next week! I need to go back home ASAP, but she of course doesn't have a residence visa,,I want to know when she comes out and joins me in NZ( she needs to give her wk one months notice) could we apply for her residence permit when she gets to NZ with me, rather than in NZ? We have plenty of money so that's not a problem,,we can find work once she gets her visa. Any advice much appreciated. Yes,we are a gay couple

Cheers
    Lisa

Hello.

She can apply for Residence as a partner either in the UK, or NZ - it doesn't matter. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm But do think about collecting any evidence of your partnership that you may need BEFORE you leave the UK, as certain things are likely to be much easier when you're on the spot to ask people directly, than if you're just a disembodied voice on the phone, or an email!

I would contact the Visa office in London and explain your circumstances: assisting kiwis and their ex-pat families is a priority. If everything's submitted properly and there are no health or character (criminal record) issues, the visas for partners are being processed very quickly.

But that's if you live together and have done so for a fair while (12? 24 months?). If you've been civil unioned or married that will help too. Good luck!

Have a look a the time it takes to process partnership resident visa in NZ, I believe is between 6 to 8 months. If you do it from the UK is between 1-3 months, although it ends up being more expensive. As a Brit u have a 6 months tourist visa in NZ. You could also apply for a partnership work visa when you get to NZ when u apply for the residency. I applied for work partnership visa while in NZ and got it in less than a month. That way she can work while you wait for the residence to be approved

Thank you for your reply and advice, much appreciated! Yes have got our stuff as evidence ready. Do you know if they accept emails to and from each other. As we don't have mail with stamp dates, we have other docs showing our joint accounts, tenancy agreements, but nothing where family have sent letters with stamp dates(seems so old fashion)!

many thanks

QUOTE=JandM;469166]Hello.

She can apply for Residence as a partner either in the UK, or NZ - it doesn't matter. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm But do think about collecting any evidence of your partnership that you may need BEFORE you leave the UK, as certain things are likely to be much easier when you're on the spot to ask people directly, than if you're just a disembodied voice on the phone, or an email![/QUOTE]

Great advice, thanks! Didn't think about a work partnership visa! Thought you would have still had the residence visa. Cheers

Do you know if they accept emails to and from each other. As we don't have mail with stamp dates, we have other docs showing our joint accounts, tenancy agreements, but nothing where family have sent letters with stamp dates(seems so old fashion)!
    Yes, emails to and fro will count. For snail mail, it's less letters from private individuals that will help, than official post, such as from banks, the tax man, insurance companies, service providers, etc.. These can be to each one of you separately - the point is, that for the official world, you two people have been known to be properly resident at that address.

Hello!
    So I'm in a similar position although I'm the partner of a Kiwi. We hadn't lived together when I came back to NZ to live with him (I had previously been out on WHV and when that expired I went back to UK) so ours was waaaaay more complicated -had to get a partner visitor visa so I could get into the country so that we could then live together for 2 months before I could apply for the work visa!!
    Residency application is now in and I'm just waiting... and waiting... and waiting... but at least I have my work visa so I can work rather than just living on his income!
    It's a good way to do it though because the residency takes a while! :-)