Thread: Temporary accommodation right after arrival

Default Temporary accommodation right after arrival

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone here has any recommendations for real estate agencies or brokers who provide temporary short-term accommodation for new migrants.
    I'm looking for a fully furnished place near by public transport nodes so I can attend job interviews without having to worry about finding the right long term rental. After finding a job, I'd like to move into a more permanent rental near work. In the meantime, I can live in this temporary accommodation.

I'm looking at mainly Auckland or Wellington. Any recommendations?

I looked into hotels but I think that with a high influx of migrants, the NZ real estate market might have a concept like this already

Thanks!

I've not heard of anyone that just rents to migrants. As long as you pay the rent and keep it clean and tidy they don't care about circumstances when there is money to be made.
    Depends on your budget but plenty of short term rentals like Quest and Waldorf in Auckland. We stayed at Waldorf Grafton, did the trick and we were glad to find it during the Rugby World Cup.

Simon

Many people/families stay in serviced apartments in Auckland CBD when they first arrive here. Not cheap, but you have more freedom that a hotel as apartments have cooking facilities and usually washing facilities too. There are a number of holiday apartment type rentals and short term furnished houses available in areas such as Devonport and up the East Coast Bays which are specifically marketed by local real estate agents as being suitable for new migrants. Again they are costly, but convenient. Out of the main season, you could also try holiday apartment chalets, but they will be a lower quality acommodation. For single people or couples on a much tighter budget, consider staying in a backpackers in the CBD. They will give a discounted rate for people staying more than a few nights.

There are lots of furnished apartments available on Trademe.co.nz, though most would want a commitment of a few months rather than weeks.

I stayed at the Waldorf-St Martin near Symonds Street and Grafton Bridge/K' Road. Heartily recommend it: nice apartments, great staff, good location.

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    There are lots of furnished apartments available on Trademe.co.nz, though most would want a commitment of a few months rather than weeks.

I stayed at the Waldorf-St Martin near Symonds Street and Grafton Bridge/K' Road. Heartily recommend it: nice apartments, great staff, good location.

Bear in mind that privately rented furnished apartments are not the same as the readily available serviced apartments. In addition to those mentioned above, also look at the Ascot Metropolis on Courthouse Lane and the Chiffley Suites on Albert Street. We've spent a month in both and they are both conveniently located.

You could always rent a campervan for a few weeks! i know that's not always ideal finding parking or going places, but it is a lot of fun for a little while! If you need something longer than that, holiday parks have cabins that are furnished (very minimally) but they are cheaper than most other places. Hostels will be cheaper but at least in cabins you have some privacy. There is a decent one in wellington, if you have kids they would love it. It's a top 10 holiday park. I am not sure about auckland though.

I am moving to Auckland in Feb and looking for shared accommodation. If someone have a choice then please drop a pm. I'll be grateful.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We were lucky that my employer (I had a job offer) paid for a serviced apartment for the first 10 days, allowing us a few days to find a place of our own to spend a couple of months while our container arrived. The place that we found was an apartment that was privately owned but in a block of serviced apartments. We paid around half the price of going direct to the serviced apartments ($50 a night vs $99).

Quest owns several serviced apartment buildings in Wellington CBD (and the rest of the country) and would be a good starting place before you find private accommodation.