Thread: Is it worth bringing the car?

Default Is it worth bringing the car?

Hello all,
    We are in the early stages of planning a move to NZ and wondering what to bring and how much the move would cost us. My questions are around bringing a car with us and when is worthwhile doing so?
    We have a basic 2005 Ford Focus with 80K miles on the clock which if sold in the UK based on Autotrader estimates would return less than £2,000, probably converting to $3,500 NZ.
    I've looked on trade me and seen similar ones up for between $8,500 and $12,500 and don't think I'd get any other kind of decent car for the same $3,500 NZ.
    Taking it would likely mean a 40ft container instead of a 20ft one I'm thinking we'd need, otherwise we want to travel light with only some furniture.
    I've had the car for 5 years and it seems mechnically sound with no body rust but I've no sentimental attachment to the car and I wouldn't mind changing makes/models for something similar.
    We will need something that seats 2 adults and 2 children that is reliable but then don't want to start off with having to get a car loan when we get there as the move will likely take up most of our savings.
    I can borrow a family car whilst it would be in transit but I'm not sure at what point it makes more economic sense to sell here and buy on arrival, or bring it with us, and what are the other likely pitfalls in transporting it?
    Any advice?

Hello

There are lots of threads on this with positive and negative outcomes. I decided to ship my Fiesta 08 and I get to pick my car up on Monday. Relatively stress free for me but I have been without a car for over 3 months! It took longer at the NZ end than I expected so unless you are able to borrow a car in NZ, the car hire bill could be quite high, unless you buy a cheapy when you arrive.

Once I get my car, I will post an upto date list of costs, but it is around $1500 NZ at this end (without shipping), due to MAFF wanting to steam clean.

I based it on financial calculations but was aware that it could end costing a whole lot more if they found rust etc. It can be a bit of a gamble.

We were going to need more than a 20' container anyway, and the car was just in two years old when it came across, so for us, it made perfect sense. May not like it much when it starts to cost me money being a VW, but it is also diesel and even with RUC is more economic in mpg than the petrol odyssey equivalent. It is swings and rounds abouts, but to bring it you will need to work out how much more shipping it will cost and the costs of getting it into the country which, for us, two years ago were over $1k. You may find it is just not worth the hassle, if you can buy as soon as you arrive.

Thanks for the advice. I've seen mention of rust being an issue (the UK salt their roads, so what do they do in NZ instead when it freezes?).
    Is the initial inspection much more rigourous than an MOT? Given it's age the car is likely to have a few gremilins so will factor that in the decision.

You can also consider sending it via a Roll-on/Roll-off ferry. Cheapest quotes we had a few years ago was GBP900 and I wish I had done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulhair View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've seen mention of rust being an issue (the UK salt their roads, so what do they do in NZ instead when it freezes?).
    Is the initial inspection much more rigourous than an MOT? Given it's age the car is likely to have a few gremilins so will factor that in the decision.
    They don't..salt that is! In 8 inches of snow they chuck some gravel on it...and wait for the sun to melt it....