Thread: EOI and job offer

Default EOI and job offer

Hi,
    We are just short of the 140 points needed for selection. My husband is going to look for work in NZ to boost us up. Can we submit the EOI and add the job offer at a later date? Just thinking that future employers might take him a little more seriously if we have the ball rolling...

Also, not sure if we should use an agency or go it alone regarding work. Would employers look more favourably if you're doing the leg work yourself? Anyone got any pearls of wisdom? Xx

Thanks for your help and happy new year

You certainly can put in your EOI, and amend it later. It's required that you let them know any changes in circumstances, e.g. change of address, or job, or new qualifications, so that comes under the same umbrella. If he gets a job offer and lets them know, his application will get picked out at the next selection, and fast-tracked.

I'm assuming you mean, about your next question, using an agent for job hunting?

I believe that you can also revise it even after being selected and also after receiving your ITA and later on after submitting your application. You still have chance to present job offer at any stage before CO decides finally your case.

It's not a question of 'can' - you MUST update INZ with any changes in your circumstances, at whatever stage they happen.

Obviously, there's an advantage to getting a job offer at any time. If it's before selection, it will get you selected the next time, and if it's after, it will put the application to the front of the queue, and mean that you almost certainly won't have to be interviewed by the CO.

We put our EOI in before I got a job offer. The first selection we didn't get picked up, but we amended the form after getting a job offer and got picked up the second time as the offer boosted our points.

I got a job offer by searching the classifieds in my profession's regulatory body's magazine, without an agency. Research the forms first though! I thought I was organised but I wish I'd done more sooner: think about getting medicals and police checks done now while you have time, and concentrate on collecting evidence. Once you get a job offer everything is going to move very fast and at present a work visa is taking 4-6wks to process once you've sent it in. A skilled migrant visa is taking considerably longer, so make sure your prospective employer is okay with this....realistically with a job offer they are probably going to want you to start before the skilled migrant visa comes through-it's a catch 22.

Thanks for the replies, as always very helpful! And yes, the second part of the post was about using a job agency. There are a load of jobs in his sector so finding positions won't be a problem...I suppose we can try ourselves and use an agent it nothing happens!

Quote Originally Posted by spidervet View Post
    We put our EOI in before I got a job offer. The first selection we didn't get picked up, but we amended the form after getting a job offer and got picked up the second time as the offer boosted our points.

I got a job offer by searching the classifieds in my profession's regulatory body's magazine, without an agency. Research the forms first though! I thought I was organised but I wish I'd done more sooner: think about getting medicals and police checks done now while you have time, and concentrate on collecting evidence. Once you get a job offer everything is going to move very fast and at present a work visa is taking 4-6wks to process once you've sent it in. A skilled migrant visa is taking considerably longer, so make sure your prospective employer is okay with this....realistically with a job offer they are probably going to want you to start before the skilled migrant visa comes through-it's a catch 22.
    That's some great advice there! I am also presuming that employers will want him to start ASAP so getting everything sorted will be beneficial. Thanks for sharing!

There are a load of jobs in his sector so finding positions won't be a problem
    Beware. I hope you're right in your case, but many other posters have found that large numbers of advertisements don't NECESSARILY equate to large numbers of opportunities.