Thread: skilled migrant versus talent visa

Default skilled migrant versus talent visa

Dear forum members,

like many of you, my partner and I would like to move to New Zealand. We would qualify points wise under the skilled migrant category and we qualify for a talent visa (due to a job offer from an accredited employer).

I have tried (and failed) to figure out what the differences are between these two (skilled migrant versus talent visa) processes. The Talent Visa process is advertised as being faster, but seems to have the hurdle than one is initially granted a visa for 30 months, and must then apply for permanent residence, which requires one having to redo the medical in two years time. The skilled migrant processes seems more involved, but also seems to offer a more secure route to permanent residence (the final offer of permanent residence, if I interpret things correct, is not conditional on a subsequent medical exam; thanks to Bostonian for the great flow diagram!).

Given that my partner and I have great jobs we are reluctant to give them up, go to new zealand, contract some disease that Immigration New Zealand is not too keen on and then be forced to leave New Zealand.

many thanks for your time and my apologies if this is a dumb question
    your would be kiwi

Hello.

You're right that the Skilled Migrant gets the whole lot of formalities done, all in one hit. (You have to pass a medical which you submit at the time of applying, under the Skilled Migrant process.)

Having said that you've failed to figure out the differences between the two routes, you go on to describe them exactly! WTR (talent) is initially faster to process (usually), but doesn't guarantee Residence two years down the line, and there's another process (and its costs) to go through anyway. SMC is generally slower to process because of deeper investigations, but if successful, the outcome is Residence straight away.

Dear JandM
    great thanks for the rapid reply. So it is as I feared (although it is good news that the SMC process gets almost everything all over and done with right upfront). I have unfortunately already lodged an application via the talent visa process, do you think it would be possible to retract this and submit via the skilled migrant pathway? I am a little annoyed that my prospective employer suggested the talent visa path (the talent visa is good for them: I can start earlier and a talent visa application probably costs them less than a skilled migrant application).
    all the best

You can't withdraw something once submitted to INZ. You can submit two applications at once, in which case, the medical and police checks, and your qualifications and work experience being verified, will do for the both. You can start work in NZ, and meantime, the Residence application will tick away in the background, and you'll be secure all the sooner. Many people with a job offer knowingly submit both kinds of application in the interests of starting work at the soonest possible time.

I don't think the employer is into any costs at all, so you may be unjustly suspecting your employer of self-interest. For many applicants, they're delighted to have an accredited employer as it gives them a step up in the immigration process. Yes, going for a work visa will get you there, legally able to work more quickly, and again, for many people anxious to get started in NZ, this is an advantage.

thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. You are right, do not think the employer is into cost saving, but I think they are keen on the earliest possible start date, which they can get with the talent visa route. We will, as you suggest, simply lodge a second application on the skilled migrant path and that should cover a couple of bases!
    thanks again!