Thread: Entertainment Industry

Default Entertainment Industry

Entertainment Industry
    I know this might make some people groan…..but I was wondering about the job market in the entertainment industry in New Zealand. It seems that move films are being made there I am just wondering.
    I am going to do some more online research- but since this forum has been so great I thought I would ask here too
    Thanks in advance!
    Catherine

Hi,
    What aspect of the film industry are you interested in? If you can be more specific about your work experience or skills, that might help in pointing you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Hi,
    What aspect of the film industry are you interested in? If you can be more specific about your work experience or skills, that might help in pointing you in the right direction
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Well anything acting or modeling- as that is what I am doing out here.
    Also I think I would be a good seamstress- not a head seamstress as I can't draft patterns- but I can sew well.
    As far as acting a modeling I have some experience with local shoots and student or independent productions.

There has been mention on the threads here several times of calls for extras when the various Hobbit films were being made. If you were in NZ on a WHV when a casual opportunity like that arose, you would be eligible. But as a visitor, you couldn't get a work visa on the strength of the offer of a few days work at a time. Also, do notice that all work visas, and skilled migrant, require qualifications for almost every career path (with just a very few allowing a specified number of provable years of full-time experience as a substitute).

For instance, being accepted as a skilled actor for INZ purposes requires this. (Quotes are from the ANZSCO listings.)
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
    A model is at skill level 5, which won't count for INZ.

A tailor or dressmaker needs this.

NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

I'm sorry if it's discouraging, but there isn't a pathway for casual workers, as NZ has nationals who will do the pick-it-up-as-I-go-along jobs.