Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving license in NZ

Default driving license in NZ

Hi all, possibly a silly question but is a uk driving licence accepted in NZ or will I have to retake one when I get there?

You have the right to drive on a UK license for 12 months after your arrival. If you're staying longer, you have to get a NZ license, and/but it's really easy to convert to this from your UK one. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html

It really is as simple as showing up at the AA and taking an eyesight test. We had NZ driving licenses within a couple of weeks of arrival.

How hard is the driving test in NZ? I haven't passed yet but I want to know whether to work hard here and get it done, pretty stressful, or wait until I get there.

Thanks for the replies. Not such a silly question after all! So many little things that need to be considered which can get overlooked. x

Quote Originally Posted by synky View Post
    How hard is the driving test in NZ? I haven't passed yet but I want to know whether to work hard here and get it done, pretty stressful, or wait until I get there.
    If your UK licence was brand new, you wouldn't be able to simply convert it in NZ - see the detail in that link. Probably not worth taking on the extra hassle just now.

You have to show you have been licensed for 4 years to convert your license without a test (well, just the vision test). My Ontario license was only 2 years old and shows no license history on it so I had to get a drivers license extract ($12) from Service Ontario to prove the length of time I've been licensed... I now have 4 licenses! Lol

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by synky View Post
    How hard is the driving test in NZ?
    What driving test? They have a lucky dip system here, don't they?

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    You have to show you have been licensed for 4 years to convert your license without a test (well, just the vision test).
    Only 2 years with a full UK licence to get NZ one with only vision test.

Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast