Thread: Applying for a job from abrought

Default Applying for a job from abrought

Hello there,

I'm applying for GIS jobs in NZ from abrought. (GIS=Geographic Information System)
    With a job offer for such a job I could immigrate into NZ as a skilled worker.
    Finding vanacies is not a problem and I have sent 8 applications in the last half year. This only resulted in one skype interview with a recruiter. This recruiter told me that my CV is good (content as well as English).
    For my applications I only get rejections, allthough my CV is good (I think).

My questions are:
    * Do NZ employers have to prioritize NZ candidates when they have a vacancy? In other words: is it possible that my brilliant , but foreign CV is blown away by one OK-ish NZ candidate?
    * Can anybody tell me how the market is for GIS jobs? I see enough vanacies, but I haven't got a clue how many people are applying for such jobs. Maybe the other candidates are simply better then me.

I'll be happy with any response on this subject.

Regards,

Ducky8

From a quick review, I don't see GIS present on the Long Term, Immediate or Canterbury Skills Shortage List from INZ: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=3 The fact that isn't on the lists means that Kiwi applicants are considered sufficiently available that in order for a non-eligible non-Kiwi to get hired, the employer needs to show that a suitable candidate *for their position* hasn't applied after they've solicited in the appropriate manner. The employer would then need to work through the INZ process to get you issued a work permit.

To distill - yes, Kiwis go to the head of the queue for these jobs at present but there appear to be a reasonable number of openings so if you are the best candidate, there is a process that can get you hired and in the job. This is one of those situations where planning a trip to NZ for the purpose of doing a series of interviews could be a good move - it will show that you are committed enough to spend the time and money to come here and appear in person.

Re: the size of the market, if you look at SEEK.co.nz you'll see most of the positions. For more background, here is a post I made about 45 days ago about the same question: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ht=#post465302

Good luck!

Often it is purely the fact that up you are abroad.

My profession was in the skill shortage lists but after speaking to recruiters they advised that unless I made the trip to the country I would be unlikely to get an interview. I sent of a CV for a position but it came back with thaks but no thanks. I was well qualified for this one so I asked for feedback. It came back with great CV, would have been interviewed had I been in the country, but sufficient local candidates.

I would always make it a point to ask for this feedback as it helps to understand what is happening even if you do not get an interview. If you speak to the recruitment agencies often you will get advice on whether you are better to be in the country and the level of applicants for positions currently.

Hi there,

Thanks for the information Mamee & Dbonnett.
    (By the way, GIS is a part of the Surveyor profession, which is on the list.)

Maybe it's indeed better to make a trip to NZ to get in touch with some employers and recruiters. (Expensive however from Europe... :-( )
    Does anyone have some suggestions for recruiters within the GIS field? I have been in touch with EBR, but they are based in OZ. Maybe a recruiter can check out my CV and tell me if it's worth to come to NZ to try.

Regards,

Ducky8