Thread: NZ 1 year Work Holiday Visa

Default NZ 1 year Work Holiday Visa

Hi everyone!
    I travelled around NZ 7 years ago and fell in love with the place.Ever since i came home to Ireland iv been itching to go back.As i was only there for 2 months or so i didnt need a visa at the time.Me and my sister are thinking of getting a WHV and hoping to travel out later this year.I am a qualified dental assistant with over 6 years experience.Do you think there are much jobs in this area for me and if so where would be the best place to go to get started?I would work at anything really but just thought that seen as i had a qualification in this that i should try find work in it. I know i can only work in a job for 6 months so this may be a problem for some practices. Is there much other work out there for backpackers and people on similar visas?I know its not as in demand as Australia.Im kind of looking for a change of scenery really and at a loss as to what to do. Things are as bad as ever here in Ireland. Everyone is gone to Oz but unfortunatley i cant go as i worked there years ago and cant get another visa. Is there a way to get a 2nd year visa for Nz the same way there is in Oz?As i only travelled around Nz i dont have a clue what it would be like to work there.I loved the chilled out way of life there and the people were so friendly.Any info you have would be great.
    Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

If you're on an Irish passport, you can't get another year of the ordinary WHV, but on a UK passport you could get 23 months.

Then there is the BUNAC visa, with their IEP option being available even if someone has had a WHV previously. http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand/visas

Hi Triple A, welcome to the forum. I'm a Dub out here permanently since 2009 with my hubby who is a NZer but was on a WHV back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
    I am a qualified dental assistant with over 6 years experience.Do you think there are much jobs in this area for me and if so where would be the best place to go to get started?I would work at anything really but just thought that seen as i had a qualification in this that i should try find work in it. I know i can only work in a job for 6 months so this may be a problem for some practices.
    If you are from the Republic or Ireland & are eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, as long as you do not take up permanent employment, you can work for the same employer for up to 12 months, unlike the WHV for some other countries (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm).

I am not sure about jobs in the dental industry here but you could always check with the Dental Council of New Zealand regarding jobs & if your qualifications allow you to work in the industry here. Also look at some of the job sites (TradeMe.co.nz, Seek.co.nz etc) for jobs that interest you. Lots of backpackers here combine work & holiday - where we are in Blenheim there are always seasonal workers around!

Good luck with it all!