Thread: Salary details in job descriptions

Default Salary details in job descriptions

Hi everyone,

My OH is currently getting his teaching qualifications assessed by NZQA and I've been wondering whether it's worth me doing this too. I'm a professional librarian (have a degree in information management), so presumably I would have to get my qualifications assessed if I wanted to work as one in NZ, and it would be easier to do that while I'm in the UK and can contact previous employers etc.

The thing is, I can't work out whether it would be worth it or not. The profession is not all that well paid in the UK and probably even less so in NZ - I might get a better salary working in a clerical position for all I know. I've joined a library forum and have been checking vacancies out on LIANZA (NZ library association), but they never give the salary offered.

Is this normal in NZ? Do people usually apply for jobs without knowing the salary? I'm not very materialistic (wouldn't be considering moving there if I was!), but I usually like to know what I'd be earning so I can compare that against the level of responsibility. What usually happens - do you phone up for more info and get quoted a salary range then, or is it something that is negotiated at the interview stage?

Would be grateful for any insights on this.

Debbie

Hello Debbie

There is a job opportunity with National Library of New Zealand :

Library Adviser
    School Services – Auckland
    Vacancy number: NL1798

Are you passionate about the role of libraries in supporting education?

This is a challenging opportunity to contribute to the development of school libraries, working as an Adviser within National Library’s Auckland Centre. School Services contributes to the Library’s vision to connect New Zealanders with information important to all aspects of their lives, by developing and delivering services which support teaching and learning in New Zealand schools.

You will require a sound knowledge of the key issues and trends in the New Zealand education environment, particularly in areas of information access, literacy and student learning. Advisers offer leadership and advice to assist schools to take a strategic approach to developing their library and information services. Other aspects of the position include providing professional development courses to schools, and supporting school library networks and professional organisations. It may also include working on our Strengthening School Libraries Programme for low decile schools.

You will have excellent communication and facilitation skills and the professional and interpersonal skills necessary to help your clients set and achieve their priorities.
    A professional library or teacher/teacher librarian qualification, and a relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent experience is essential.

Salary Range: $49,273.00 - $57,968.00

For further information about this position please contact Lois Webb, Advisory Programme Co-ordinator, School Services, Auckland, National Library of New Zealand: Phone (09) 524 3861 e-mail: lois.webb@natlib.govt.nz

Applications close: 5pm Friday 16th September 2005.

An application form and job description are available from Human Resources (04) 474-3065 or email: personnel.services@natlib.govt.nz

The National Library has an equal employment opportunity policy, and a commitment to meeting its objectives under the Treaty of Waitangi.

GOOD LUCK & SUCCESS

Thumbs up Cheers!

Thanks Singel, this is great and gives me an idea of what salary to expect (though it looks a bit senior for me!).

Cheers

Debbie

Hello Debbie,

Interesting one for you : http://www.kiwicareers.govt.nz/jobs/11b_lib/j21720x.htm

This is exactly what I need. Thanks so much Ivy, you are really helpful.

And I love seeing your photos of Wattle Bay - they keep me going through the tough times!

Debbie

I've just been offered a job as a Library Asst (part time). I've looked into the situation with jobs with Chch Libraries / Council and my neighbour works for the library too.

They are in the top ten of institutions to work for in NZ and it's competitive getting a job. (200+ applied for the part time position I applied for).

I wouldn't say pay was great, particularly for a lowly library assistant like me which will start at $14 / hr + 5% superannuation. But they will pay for me to do a degree which I think is good value.

I recently saw a library manager job advertised for $65k in Chch and would imagine that is pretty near the top of the tree.

I can get you some inside info when I start in a week or so's time

Debbie,

I was wondering too about the protocol for asking about salary as it doesn't normally say in an advert. I'm not being materialistic either but we are hoping to live on one salary rather than two - so it does matter how much ! I just emailed the contact name and asked them outright - some have responded and some not, so there you go - give it a try (I phrased it "What is the salary range ?" therefore if there is a distinction for seniority or experience you can gauge it. Hope this helps,

Tracey

Thanks Tracey, I could give that a go with a few jobs and see what happens. As you say, nothing wrong with asking the salary range - I'm sure most people do before applying.

Moorf, good luck with starting the job next week!

Debbie

Hello Debbie,

A job opportunity with Unitec :

LIBRARIAN IN CHARGE
    Architecture and Design Library

We are offering the exciting position of Librarian-in-Charge of our Architecture and Design Library. Located in a heritage building at the north end of the Unitec Mt Albert campus, this library provides excellent resources for the staff and students in the Schools of Architecture, Design, Landscape Architecture and Performing and Screen Arts.
    You must be able to -
    * Communicate well to maintain the excellent links that are well established with the academic community.
    * Explore future developments in information services and plan their implementation.
    * Drive the collection development process through collaboration and liaison.
    * Supervise, encourage and support staff.
    * Contribute to the strategic development of Unitec libraries as a member of the Library Management Team.

We require a Librarian with a degree and library qualification, who has experience in a tertiary or special library. Knowledge and enthusiasm for at least one of the following subject areas: architecture, construction, design, or performing and screen arts would be a definite advantage. You will also need to be flexible and enjoy a busy work environment.
    Applications close on 21 September 2005.

For a Position Description and to apply, visit our website : www.jobs.unitec.ac.nz