Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Americans are unhappy in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    We were discussing the subject of this thread, and she mentioned (as Kiwieagle did) that there is an equality of social classes in NZ that you don't find in England. I'm not sure this makes a difference in whether a Brit is more or less likely to be unhappy in NZ, but it would make the Kiwi society appear more laid-back.
    I find these class comments quite interesting (not just yours, they pop up occasionally on the forum).

I agree that there is definitely a class thinking in the UK, not a good thing. However, I don't really agree that there isn't one here. There is a large class of people with almost zero social mobility. They make up what is called the 'tail end' of achievement in schools, a large part of beneficiaries and prison population. They are generally less healthy, less educated and poor. In NZ, the social status of your parents is more of an indication of your own future state than it is in the UK.

The white middle classes may be more equal, I don't quite see that equality across races and economic classes at all.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post

The ones who came from the US went back there and the ones from the UK went back to the UK why would you not go back to the US, lost me there !
    Because my kids are American and I left UK 22-23 yrs ago!

Quote Originally Posted by JagerLeaves View Post
    What 4 countries would that be?
    England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

I'm from Ireland and last time I checked we were not part of the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    But if I was going to return anywhere it would be the US..Seattle area, NOT the UK.
    Know of at least one ex member of ENZ who has gone back the US and two other couples who weren't on here. But having said that also know of many UK returnees, both ENZ and not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Because my kids are American and I left UK 22-23 yrs ago!
    Which what I said US to US and UK to UK, why did you feel the need to quote me and emphasis the NOT, that's the bit that had me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I find these class comments quite interesting (not just yours, they pop up occasionally on the forum).

I agree that there is definitely a class thinking in the UK, not a good thing. However, I don't really agree that there isn't one here. There is a large class of people with almost zero social mobility. They make up what is called the 'tail end' of achievement in schools, a large part of beneficiaries and prison population. They are generally less healthy, less educated and poor. In NZ, the social status of your parents is more of an indication of your own future state than it is in the UK.

The white middle classes may be more equal, I don't quite see that equality across races and economic classes at all.

Daniela
    I think that is something definitely to think about. As NZ moves away from the social welfare state and widens the wealth gap, this inequality is quite glaring. Are you sure of your statement that the social status of your parents is more of an indication of your future here than in the UK? I'm pretty sure UK tops the OECD for lack of social mobility with the US nipping closely at its heels.

Just a cursory knowledge of the ethnic make up of the NZ and UK governments tells me that in NZ ethnic minorities have larger representation. The UK has 23% women in Parliament while NZ has 32%. However, I don't really think that tells the story. I think to really understand the differences you'd have to research things like prison population and sentencing. How are prisons run? Do ethnic minorities or lower economic classes get convicted more often and sentenced to longer terms than middle class whites?
    Also, how are ethnic minorities, women and lower economic classes represented in media? Probably, in those areas, NZ is more like the US and UK than it would like.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I think that is something definitely to think about. As NZ moves away from the social welfare state and widens the wealth gap, this inequality is quite glaring. Are you sure of your statement that the social status of your parents is more of an indication of your future here than in the UK?
    As far as the oft quoted PISA study goes (the only one I have at hand right now but I have read the trend confirmed in others, too), the biggest indication of your own social status is your parents'. This is very bad in Germany, which I seem to recall tops the list, followed by NZ. The UK is not among the top ones there.

When I look around me where I live, I can see that holding true. I understand that there are regional differences (I'm sure, Ralf, Otago is nothing like this at all ), but here in Auckland, the most deprived and the least deprived of NZ live rather close to each other. Yet I cannot see, and the statistics confirm this, that the children of these economic groups will make much of a move at all, in either direction (although I presume 'down' is easier than 'up'.)

Daniela

Sorry I guess I meant N ireland!

Which what I said US to US and UK to UK, why did you feel the need to quote me and emphasis the NOT, that's the bit that had me confused.

Are you aiming this at me? I am confused.

My original post meant Scotland, England , Wales and Northern Ireland (not Ireland).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast