Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Americans are unhappy in NZ?

Default How many Americans are unhappy in NZ?

I've read a few posts in the last month or two, from members from the U.K. who haven't adjusted to NZ and are returning (or hope to return in the near future) to the U.K. I'm trying to remember if there are many American ENZ members who have become disillusioned with life in NZ and have returned to the U.S. (with the exception of Eskae (sp?) from New York, who moved on to France, I don't remember any others - but I may have just missed the posts)

The first time I visited England, I was really surprised at how much it reminded me of NZ and realized that NZ is indeed very English. I'm curious - are more Brits unhappy in NZ because it is so similar to the U.K. yet it isn't the U.K - so therefore the differences are more annoying? And are Americans happier in NZ because it so very different from the U.S. so the expectations are different?

I hope my question makes sense and does not cause any offense as that is not my intention.

Interesting question! I have been told Americans often go back because they find it too different here, but all the Americans I personally know here are content with NZ.

PS What ever happened to The Ponys?

We're coming up on five years and have no intentions of going anywhere. I should add that we're probably not your typical American immigrants in that I lived outside of the US (various places in Asia) for 15 years before coming to New Zealand, my wife is not an American and whilst our kids have US passports, they have never lived in the US. We love Christchurch. We find it a wonderful place to raise our kids and to live the outdoor life.

We are on US passports although hubby and I born and lived for 23 ish yrs in UK, and we love it here, 18 mths so far after 20 yrs in the US and no complaints. Although UK expats keep complaining about Kiwi chocolate not being like UK chocolate and after Hersheys tastes great to us!

Know of at least one ex member of ENZ who has gone back the US and two other couples who weren't on here. But having said that also know of many UK returnees, both ENZ and not.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Know of at least one ex member of ENZ who has gone back the US and two other couples who weren't on here. But having said that also know of many UK returnees, both ENZ and not.
    But if I was going to return anywhere it would be the US..Seattle area, NOT the UK.

Love it here. It seems the longer we are here the more different from the states it is. Subtle things we didn't notice at first.

The ones who came from the US went back there and the ones from the UK went back to the UK why would you not go back to the US, lost me there !
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    But if I was going to return anywhere it would be the US..Seattle area, NOT the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    PS What ever happened to The Ponys?
    Mrs Pony last visited in August, 2011 http://www.enz.org/forum/member.php?u=7364, so I guess they've got involved in real life out there in NZ.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast