Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any restrictions for starting business in NZ?

Default Any restrictions for starting business in NZ?

Hi.

I am from Iran. My friend and I are planning to start a biz in NZ.
    We are both IT professionals and have alrady a big contract with an American larg enterprise company in order to provide search engine optimization for their e-business and we can take this contract to NZ as our first big customer.
    I want to know if there are any restrictions in NZ for Iranian professionals in order to register their company, invest and start business.
    How much fund is necessary to start this type of business which at first step does nod need anything but office facilities? How I can find a reference for probable costs?
    In order to minimize the costs, could we start our work from our home at NZ at first step or we should rent an office to be eligible to register our company?

More questions are on the way

bye

Hello! Have you looked at the criteria for visas for setting up business?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

I'm guessing this would be a good place to start. There are also some threads on the forum relating to people applying for visas for the purposes of setting up businesses: do a search and see what you come up with.

P

You would have to have a suitable visa in order to run a business in NZ, quite apart from formalities about the business itself.

Simultaneous posting there.

...great minds......

To mehara - I believe you've applied for a Residence visa under SMC. If you already had that visa, you would be entitled to start a business in NZ, but running your own business will not count as work for the purpose of getting the visa. If you were interviewed by a CO wanting to assess your employability (which happens to applicants without a job offer), and you said that you intended to start a business, you would not be eligible for Residence.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    To mehara - I believe you've applied for a Residence visa under SMC. If you already had that visa, you would be entitled to start a business in NZ, but running your own business will not count as work for the purpose of getting the visa. If you were interviewed by a CO wanting to assess your employability (which happens to applicants without a job offer), and you said that you intended to start a business, you would not be eligible for Residence.
    Thank you JandM and Parsley for your quick response.
    You are right. I have applied for Residence visa under SMC and I had my interview on May 2012 and now waiting for the National Security Check results.
    I have asked this question on behalf of my friend who want to apply for a Long Term Business Visa and I may join his business if he was successful.
    He is not sure that regarding imposed sanctions on Iran, is there any interdiction for Iranian people to register their company in NZ?
    He should be sure before sending any application.

All I can find concerning NZ restrictions on business with Iran is what it says - about doing business with Iran, or people in Iran - not an Iranian national wanting to have a business in NZ. In his position, I would write to the NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and ask them what he wants to know. (I know that for many foreigners, this seems surprising, but honestly, government departments in NZ respond to private individuals, and can be very helpful.)

Yes, it's nearly unthinkable not just surprising that I get answers from ministers and govt agencies in NZ and that they are actually honest and helpful. It's just something that never fails to blow my mind.

Hi, I sent an Email to Companies Office of Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment and asked them about any probable restriction for Iranian people to start their business in NZ and they answered:

"Thank you for your enquiry to the New Zealand Companies Office.
    There is no interdiction on non-NZ citizens registering a company with the New Zealand Companies Office.
    You should be aware though, if a director and/or shareholder is not a New Zealand resident then there may be additional information that is required before a company can be fully incorporated.
    You can view our website here: www.companies.govt.nz.
    Please also see the following website which may be of assistance to you for more general advice: www.business.govt.nz. "

Thank you for your kind response.

I have another question. Is it possible for someone who wants to use LTBV and be a self employer to register a company and start his/her job at home at first step?
    At first step it can economize the spending and reduce the expenditures.

Any further help and information will be welcome.
    Mehdi
    Last edited by mehara; 13th January 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast