Thread: Visa Options after Working holiday Visa?

Default Visa Options after Working holiday Visa?

Hi there,

I'm coming up to the end of my 2 year working holiday visa (I'm a UK citizen, girlfriend NZ citizen), and am trying to find out what options I have in regards to getting another visa to stay longer.

Ive looked at the immigration site, but that sends me around in circles and is clear as mud.

I originally thought I could get a partner visa, but Im not sure if I can due to having the working holiday visa. Does anyone know if that is the case?

I dont think I want to apply for residency, and am not ready for marriage.

Are there any other options?

Thanks

Drew

Hi Drew,

From what I understand of the site, you could apply for a work visa if you match one of their categories (Either being in a shortage skilled area, being able to prove no Kiwi was available for the position, being extremely renowned in art/sport/culture or one of their very specific exceptions)

You could also apply for a partner visa if you and your girlfriend have been living together for 12 months. I don't think it matters what visa you're on right now when you apply, just as long as you remain legal while they are processing it. In the operating manual, it does state that you can be granted a 'deferment' or temporary visa if your relationship is stable and genuine, but not yet at the 12 month mark.

All of the information for the partnership visa can be found in the INZ Operating Manual: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30875.htm

I agree with L Havens.

There's nothing to state what visa - any or none - you should be on when applying for partnership. And you don't have to be married to get either a partner-sponsored work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, or Residence under partnership http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...er/default.htm. Also, getting a visa because of partnership does not tie you into the relationship beyond the processing time.

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

I have just had another look and I think I got slightly confused when I read this:

'However, you are not eligible for a work visa if your partner's work visa:
    'was granted under one of our working holiday schemes'

But I think it was under the section of: partner holding a work visa, and not: partner who is a nz citizen.

As you said, there doesnt appear to be any issue with me being on a working holiday visa, so will give that a go.

Thanks again!

Good luck!