Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About IT Contract_urgent

I just went to immigration office and they told me I can not set up a company of own by my silver fern visa

That seems to imply that you are not allowed per rules of your visa to work as an independent contractor. Did INZ say anything more?

Hi Sabrina,

You may not be able to establish a company but you may still be able to work as a contractor (as a sole trader, independent contractor). Ask immigration if you can work as a sole trader whilst on silver fern visa.
    I am an independent contractor, sole trader, but do not have a registered company of my own. I use my persoanl IRD number as GST number. If we setup a company, we need to get new IRD number for company which will be its GST number. Also, you need to register for GST only if your annual income is expected to be over $60k (i think its $60K but please confirm).

Another important question to ask is, What type of job offer do you need to have to apply for 2 yr silver fern job experience visa? The most obvious answer would be permanent job in IT field. But ask them if a contract job offer (contract of service) is acceptable or not? However even if they say it's acceptable, you should have at least 12 months contract with possible extension when you apply. You can apply as an exception especially for job in IT sector but your employer must support you firmly.

Remember, you could also do 3 month contract for now and find a permanent job for you before you finish your 9 month visa.

Could you register with an umbrella company so you are ineffect employed by them and they fix all the tax side of things? I don't know how it works in NZ but thats a popular option in the Uk if you don't want to go through setting our own business up. You could google it and see what you find here's one link though.. http://contractortaxation.com/New-Ze...ny-New-Zealand Not sure how it would work with your type of visa something you'd need to check ith INZ.

Hi, nativecolo,
    Yes you are right. a invoice template can help right way. Make yourself very clear in every angle and contact IRD if you need further help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12