Thread: North shore mums, dads, families

Default North shore mums, dads, families

We (a 30 something and a 40 something) moved to Auckland in October 2012 and have settled, for now in Narrow Neck near Devonport and loving it We have met a few people but are keen to meet more, especially those with small children as we have 22 month old and 4.5 year old daughters.

Anyone fancy meeting over a coffee and a play during the week? Just discovered Windsor Cafe today which is brilliant! Anyone know of any mother and toddler groups that meet up on the North Shores?

My husband works from home so he's keen to get out and meet new people too, so if you'd like to meet as a family on a weekend we'd be up for that too.

It would be lovely to meet some new faces

Welcome to the Shore. We don't really fit the bill as we have boys and they are aged 6 and 8. You might research some playgroups, I know that is where others I know have met lots of people. Hopefully that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Welcome to the Shore. We don't really fit the bill as we have boys and they are aged 6 and 8. You might research some playgroups, I know that is where others I know have met lots of people. Hopefully that works for you.
    We weren't suggesting that we ONLY want to meet families with very young kids Thanks for the tip though!

Welcome to the Shore! My hubby and I have a little one of nearly 18 months old, been living in Auckland for 2 years now. I know of a lovely playgroup in Unsworth Heights if you are interested and also a Mainly Music group. I use to go but now I am working full time But we could meet on a weekend or something if you keen.

Hi there. I move to auckland on Tuesday with my husband, two boys (4 months & 3 1/2 year old).
    We have a house in Forest hill and would love to meet up with families in the area.

Try the North Shore Mums and Kids Meetup Group...
    http://www.meetup.com/North-Shore-Mums-and-Kids

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrobb View Post
    Welcome to the Shore! My hubby and I have a little one of nearly 18 months old, been living in Auckland for 2 years now. I know of a lovely playgroup in Unsworth Heights if you are interested and also a Mainly Music group. I use to go but now I am working full time But we could meet on a weekend or something if you keen.
    Thank you jmcrobb Unsworth Heights is possibly a bit far to go every week but it would be nice to meet up on a weekend sometime. Will pm you to arrange

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Timber View Post
    Hi there. I move to auckland on Tuesday with my husband, two boys (4 months & 3 1/2 year old).
    We have a house in Forest hill and would love to meet up with families in the area.
    Hi Mrs_Timber, hope the move went well today! Thanks for responding Will pm you to arrange a meet up when you've got settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveandkim View Post
    Anyone know of any mother and toddler groups that meet up on the North Shores?
    I also used to live in Narrow Neck and when we first arrived with pre-school children we found the Devonport Community House to be a great resource. During term time it holds the Bells and Whistles playgroup one morning a week for parents with pre-schoolers. There was no need to register - just turn up when you want to. There is also a creche based there run by a wonderful team - it would be well worth your while putting your youngest's name on the waiting list as soon as possible. My daughter went there and loved it before moving on to the kindy on Vauxhall Road. Again, you will need to get you child's name on the kindy waiting list if you want her to go there before she goes to school. They might even be able to take your eldest for a few months to help her to get to know children in the area before she starts school.

The staff members at the Community House are also a good source of info about other groups in the area. There were a couple of Mainly Music music groups in Devonport when I was there.

There are also two Playcentres in the area - one on Mt Vic and one at Narrow Neck. They are different to kindy and the creche in that they are run by the parents. It could be a good thing to join if you both want to meet more parents and quite a few of my friends did it. Lots of dads were involved.

The Community House and Creche http://www.devonportcomhouse.co.nz/index.htm

Kindy http://www.aka.org.nz/Akainternet/Te...Graphical.aspx

Mt Vic playcentre http://www.playcentre.org.nz/playcen...252&assocID=20

Narrow Neck playcentre http://www.playcentre.org.nz/playcen...247&assocID=20
    Last edited by norma; 22nd January 2013 at 11:58 PM.