Thread: How did you make the move when needing job offer?

Default How did you make the move when needing job offer?

Hi.

We seem to be a caught in a catch 22 situation and just wondered if anyone could share how they managed.
    We've got all our docs ready and are using an immigration company to submit everything. We've put our house up for sale and have booked a trip over in February for a look around.
    We were thinking that maybe once house sells hubby would have to go on his own and look for work whilst I tie things up back in the uk. Immigration company have advised though that we don't put house on the market till visa is sorted. If hubby has to travel and stay over on his own I couldn't afforded to manage the house without dipping into our savings every month. Also once he gets visa we could then be waiting a long time to sell the house.

Just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so how you managed to get job offer etc.
    we have tried Internet searching using seek etc but no joy as still in uk.

Many thanks.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It's a tough predicament and I don't envy your situation. We weren't in the same situation as you but, in my opinion, I don't think your immigration adviser is right to advise you on when, or when not to sell your house.

In my opinion, you would be better to put it on the market sooner rather than later as having to rely on the sale of a property to dictate your move can be stressful. Personally I would rather get rid of the house and move into a rental while your visa/job situations are sorted. That allows a lot more flexibilty for your move without the noose of a mortgage hanging over you.

Having said that, it could still take an awfully long time to sell your house in the current market - it's one of the many "how long is a piece of string?" situations involved in the emigration process.

We had wanted to make the move for years and we finally decided to just sell up, come over, and job hunt. As I've said before, it was very risky and stressful, and it took hubby 6 months to find a job, but we decided it was worth trying. We figured it to be a risk we could recover from if we had to go back to the States.
    If the house had sold sooner than we were ready to go, we had several rental options and offers from friends lined up, but the timing actually worked out really well.
    I do also want to add that we always had the relevant visas during our journey; very important!

Thanks everyone, we will just continue as planned. Leaving house on the market, if we are lucky and it sells quick (which I doubt) we can always move back in with parents for a bit. Hubby will then have to go ahead once house sells to try to find work.

Hi, we're in the same position.
    Our house is currently on the market, if it sells quickly then we'll have to rent and if it doesn't well we'll see what the next step might be!
    We've a trip planned for April and we intend to 'hit' the job market hard before to set-up meetings/interviews and really hope that something will come from that.
    Like you we've also considered that one of us might have to go on ahead while the other one finishes up the administration things here, it woldn't be nice for either of us but it's a possibilty.
    Have a great trip, hope things work out you

Hope things work out for you janeyo as well as you wellywearer. Good luck!