Thread: Q&A on NZ immigration officer

Default Q&A on NZ immigration officer

I got few question which I am sure every1 is interested to know the answering they had given to their CO's while their interview.
    Can you all share some pointers to below questions, it will be helpful for all (just brief pointer will do), thanks in advanced.

Please write the pointers or keywords (short answers) in front of questions?

1)Why NZ?
    2)What would you do as soon as you arrive in NZ?
    3)What is your plan in NZ? (what should be the answer, take up job, contribute to nz society/ economy and reside in nz)
    4)Do you have any relatives/friends? (What if we don't have?)
    5)What support will you have in NZ? (In case don't have friends or family)
    6)What would you do if you came across any obstacles?
    7)What kind of media did you use for research about NZ?
    8)What will you do if you don't get a job as quickly as you would have hoped? or What do plan, if you do not find the right job in your industry? (Please answer this)
    9)What have you done to look for employment so far?
    10)How much money did we think we needed to make a good living in NZ?
    11)How long did we think it would take to find work?
    12)Mainly how do you plan to make friends ?
    13)How do you intend to find work ?
    14)What will your Partner do for a living? (what should be the answer if she doesn't fall under Skilled migrant category)
    15)What if you do not find work in the area that you have chosen to live? How will you support yourself?
    16)What have you heard about NZ ?
    17)Do you have any questions? (What to ask back to CO?)
    18)What is your financial situation? (What should be the answer?)

This thread may be helpful - Immigration interview questions

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27398

thanks for link mikeandcaroline but I would appreciate if you or some1 spend few mins and write some answers (short pointer perhaps) which will be useful for every1. Thanks once again.

I can't specifically help but within this link there is a recent list of questions and answers that have been used - Page 8 of the link. Within the full thread there are also others input.

Hope this helps.

I think, to be fair, that most people's answers to those questions will be very personal to them. E.g what will your partner do for a living? Well, I know what my partner will do, but that's not going to be very helpful for your partner. It's very useful to have the questions for people to prepare, but most people will have different answers to most of those questions.

The whole point about the questions is to show that you are prepared. As Parsley has said the answers will really depend upon your circumstances.
    E.g. What made you think NZ would be a nice place to live? Is it the countryside, the economy, the schools, the weather, the job opportunities? For each of us the answer may be different.
    What do you plan to do in NZ? If you are going for a skilled migrant visa what do you think the answer should be?

The whole point is that this is personal to you and they are checking your suitability for the visa, not the rest of the forum members. There are no right or wrong answers....just the answers as they pertain to your situation. Yes, I remember being very concerned I had given the "wrong" answers....but they were my answers and I was more nervous for that interview than I had ever been for any interview or business meeting in my life.

The questions are there to show that you have thought out thoroughly what you intend to do and how you intend to do it. What are your plans? What happens if you can't find work in your chosen field? Don't like the area you first settle in? Have you the finances or plans to cope? What will your partner do? Will she find work? Will she do volunteer work in the community? Will she be primary care giver for children? The answers are to show that you have considered the various things that may/may not happen and you have given enough thought to what will face you on arrival and that you have thought about what you will do to settle, integrate and become a part of Kiwi society.

these questions are based on not being in nz and wanting to come. will the questions be different if like myself ive been in nz for over a years now, have a job, friends etc? we are just applying for residency and would be useful to know what to prepare for.. thanks so much..

Exactly my thinking. While I understand how one might want to do whatever one can to be prepared for the interview, the only "correct" answers to these questions are your own. From what I've read here, your CO wants to assess how much you've thought about living in NZ and the degree to which you're prepared for the experience of migration to NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    The whole point about the questions is to show that you are prepared. As Parsley has said the answers will really depend upon your circumstances.
    E.g. What made you think NZ would be a nice place to live? Is it the countryside, the economy, the schools, the weather, the job opportunities? For each of us the answer may be different.
    What do you plan to do in NZ? If you are going for a skilled migrant visa what do you think the answer should be?

The whole point is that this is personal to you and they are checking your suitability for the visa, not the rest of the forum members. There are no right or wrong answers....just the answers as they pertain to your situation. Yes, I remember being very concerned I had given the "wrong" answers....but they were my answers and I was more nervous for that interview than I had ever been for any interview or business meeting in my life.

The questions are there to show that you have thought out thoroughly what you intend to do and how you intend to do it. What are your plans? What happens if you can't find work in your chosen field? Don't like the area you first settle in? Have you the finances or plans to cope? What will your partner do? Will she find work? Will she do volunteer work in the community? Will she be primary care giver for children? The answers are to show that you have considered the various things that may/may not happen and you have given enough thought to what will face you on arrival and that you have thought about what you will do to settle, integrate and become a part of Kiwi society.

If you have a job, you will not be interviewed. I think that the logic is that if an employer has interviewed you and chosen you for a position then you have a job and contacts to come to, and the employer would not have offered you the position if he did not think that you were going to stay. If however you are applying without a job to go to they want to check that you are realistic about what you are facing on arrival.