Thread: Education in Bayswater/North Shore

Default Education in Bayswater/North Shore

Hi

We're an Aussie family that's just arrived - husband's job has moved us O/S lots over the past 5 years. We had a house lined up in Mission Bay to rent, but at the last minute it's fallen through much to our dismay! We've found a possible house in Bayswater - but I haven't been able to visit schools as it's holidays.

I have 2 boys, one 9 years the other 5.5. The oldest should be going in to year 5, but due to our travels he's been held back a year in Australia, which evidently is pretty uncommon here. The younger will be starting, as in Oz he was too young to start.

Anyone know anything about Bayswater School - and also the schools that would be in zone for Years 7 and up?

cheers
    Anna

its been a LONG while since i was there but our kids went to Belmont Primary when we lived (briefly before settling in Arkles Bay) in that area, age 5 & 9.
    Think Takapuna Grammar is supposed to be a great school with people moving into the area specifically to get their kids in there.
    As I said tho its been a while and someone with more up to date knowledge should be able to help further.

Welcome! We are renting in Narrow Neck, so v close to Bayswater and would love to buy somewhere in this peninsula between Takapuna and Devonport as it is a great family area with a community feel. We have a daughter who is due to start Primary school in May so we went and looked at Bayswater and Belmont. We were impressed with both schools and both have great principals. Speaking to other parents in the area both schools are highly thought of but they are quite different.

Although the principal at Bayswater has a great 'learning journey' in place, we had the overall impression that it was maybe a little too 'relaxed' there. The fact that they don't wear a uniform might have added to that impression. It was still quite a difficult decision between the two but we have now decided to enrol her at Belmont and hope that we'll be able to stay in the area so she (and her sister) can continue onto the intermediate and possibly Takapuna Gramma. Everyone who we have mentioned our decision to has said that you can't go wrong with Belmont and they don't know of anyone who has been unhappy with that school. Obviously this is all just our opinion and things we have heard. You might feel that Bayswater is better suited to your boys.