Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I think I'm boned

Excellent news - so pleased people pulled the stops out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rawsoncj View Post
    My essential skills work visa has already (!) been approved, so now I'm good until October, a month after my current employment contract ends. That gives me far more breathing room, and it should hopefully be enough time for me to find something permanent so either my existing residence visa app can go through or I can get work to residence instead.

So, immediate crisis resolved. Whew!
    Congrats and good luck on your residence visa.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Great news. Now breathe and focus on your strategy for staying long term

Hey congratulations!

That is fantastic news. I am glad that things are falling into place for you. Will keep my fingers crossed just the same. And keep us posted on how things turn out.

Any news on your situation?

Hi there, you mentioned a Master's degree you obtained from Massey... would it be an option for you to go back to uni and study for a PhD? There might even be the option of a scholarship. I know it's not as good as residency, but it would enable you to stay in NZ.

I am not really experienced in this regard but I would recommend asking your boss if he can sponsor you for a work visa (- the partnership part). Those don't take as long to process I'm pretty sure.
    I know places like Farmers (clothing shop) sponsor immigrants and that allows a lot of people to work towards residency though I have not followed this avenue myself.

I've given some consideration to going for a PhD, but I'm already having enough trouble finding work with a Masters degree. I'm pretty sure a PhD would keep me from getting any kind of job anywhere.

Over the past month I've applied to nearly 30 jobs in my field. Of the handful who've actually replied, they've all rejected me. I haven't been shortlisted, much less interviewed, for any of the jobs I've applied for. Some of these jobs have been ones I've been uniquely qualified for, right down the line, point-for-point.

I have just under 8 months left to find some sort of permanent employment somewhere in NZ, or else I'll be forced to leave. The other way of looking at the situation is that if someone with my qualifications and experience can't find work here, then maybe I should go elsewhere.

Here's hoping all your hard work will find you an opening soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234