Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any areas to avoid? Auckland

Default Any areas to avoid? Auckland

So ill be working in east Tamaki, looking to get an appartment around that area somewhere. Heard of plenty of nicer places to reside but are there any areas to avoid (helps with the search a little more than knowing where is nice)

If anyone on here is from Birmingham or has been I currently live in great barr/perry barr area, its not paradise and its not the ghetto to give an idea for comparison.

Dont mind living in a 'cheaper' area of town but dont want shotguns in my face all day long either

thanks for any info

Dave

It might be an idea to book a serviced apartment when you arrive to give you some time to look around the different areas. They are all quite different and easily commutable , especially if you are used to a commute in the UK. It also depends whether you prefer city/beach/rural.

I think someone has already told you on a previous thread where to avoid.

I would personally prefer to live nearer the city and commute to East Tamaki each day , but everyone is different!

East Tamaki itself is quite an industrial area. Also there are not many apartment blocks out east. I was told to avoid Otara and my only experience with it has been to try out the market and I didn't feel nervous there. Flat Bush, Dannemora and Botany are near by, you may be able to find a small unit or house to rent there.

Yes, probably best to avoid Auckland.

Naughty!

Technohedge, there are those among the members that won't say a good word for anywhere in Auckland at any price. There are nevertheless places within greater Auckland that are beautiful, and welcoming. Get some temporary accommodation and see for yourself.

Yeah I think that sounds like the most sensible thing to do. Thanks for the advice people

As mentioned previously, East Tamaki is an industrial area. The nearby residential suburbs are generally low socioeconomic areas -Otara, Otahuhu and Flat Bush are all a bit rough around the edges. You won't have shotgun in your face or anything, it's just poor and it shows. Botany and Pakuranga are close as well, and the more middle class alternatives.

It is not easy to get apartments in the Manukau areas mentioned above as most are suburbs with family-style homes. Your best option if you can afford the rental - is a unit. Or consider shared accommodations.

South of Auckland is bad. I felt unsafe in areas like Papatoeotoe (Hunter Plaza).

South of Auckland is bad.
    It has its uncomfortable feeling places, but I do think that's too sweeping - it has pleasant residential areas, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast